Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Take her," I said, moving toward Adrian so he could hold Chloe.

"What are you doing?" he asked, taking her in his arms. 

Chloe was looking at me like she just wanted to be back in my arms.  I had the urge just to hold her and protect her since Owen was obviously sent to the school to get her.  I wasn't going to let him, though.

"I'm going out there," I said, looking at the four of them.  "I'm going to distract him and you three just get her to the car.  She's what's important right now and I don't want her getting hurt."

"What happens if you get hurt?" Adrian asked, his voice low.

I shook my head.  "Then you go on without me.  Chloe's more important," I said again. 

I turned before any of them could say another thing and went into the office.  The woman at the front desk looked up at me with wide eyes when I put my hands on the counter in front of her. 

"Put the school on lockdown," I said, looking straight into her eyes.  "There's a man outside who's here for Chloe and we have to get her out of here before he does.  He's dangerous and I don't want anyone getting hurt."

I saw her nod before I turned to head out the door again. 

I looked at Chloe in Adrian's arms and she was holding on to his neck with tears streaming down her face. 

"Don't go!" she cried when she saw me.  "I can keep him away!"

I walked over toward them and put my hands on her blond curls.  "I know you can, sweetie, but I have to do this, okay?" I said, leaning toward her to kiss her forehead.  "I'll be back as soon as I can."

I turned and looked out the window of the door as I went to go outside.  Slowly I walked toward him.  My heart was beating in time with my footsteps, but it started to speed up as I got closer and closer to Owen. 

The same electricity that I'd always felt with him before started to become stronger as I got nearer to him.  And once I was standing three feet behind him, I thought I wouldn't be able to take it anymore. 

His clothes were the same as they'd always been:  dark jeans and a black leather jacket with no doubt of a black shirt underneath.  His hair seemed a little longer, but then I should have expected that.  It had been three months since I'd seen him and thought he was dead. 

"Owen," I said, quietly, and I saw his back stiffen.

I saw him take a deep breath and he hung his head.  "Don't come any closer to me, Lola," he said in a husky voice.  "Please don't."

I didn't do what he wanted me to...well, more of what he didn't want me to.  With him this close to me, alive and breathing, I couldn't take it.  I took a step toward him, closing the distance between us, and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face in his back.  His scent that I missed so much surrounded me and I just clung to him tighter. 

I heard Owen's breath hitch as he grasped my hands in his, holding them as tight as he could.  Then he brought them up to his face and I felt him kiss my palms.  He held them against his face and I felt wetness on his cheeks. 

"Why are you crying?" I whispered, tears welling up in my own eyes.

"Because I don't want to look at you," he said, his breath hitching again.  He kissed my palms again.  "I can't do it."

"Owen..." I started.

"I can't," he whispered, dropping my hands.

I didn't move away from him.  I walked around him, stopping in front of him, and looked up at the face that I'd been missing for these last three months.