Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Owen.  He was alive.  He wasn’t gone like I’d thought he was for the past three months.  He was...just under the control of Alex. 

That was probably a fate almost as worse as death. 

“How?” I asked, looking back at Secretary Duke.  “How does he have him?”

He pressed another icon on his tablet and a picture of the attack in D.C. appeared on the screen.  It looked like it had come from a camera that was mounted on the side of some building.  I could see Owens body lying on the ground with the fires burning around him and then a few people walking toward him in the distance.  And that group was Alex and his little minions. 

“They took him after you left,” Secretary Duke said.  “They took him and got away in that jet that they had.  We weren’t able to get a trace on it so we don’t know where they went.”

“Then where was this picture taken?” Trygg asked.

“Portland,” he said.  “That’s where the little girl is.  Her name is Chloe Carver.  She’s in a foster home just outside of the city.  Her parents died in a car crash a year ago.  She was in the car, but was perfectly fine.”

“Is that her power?” I asked.  “Regeneration?”

Secretary Duke shook his head.  “No, she has the power of invisibility and can generate force fields.  She’s quite a spectacular young girl.”

Arin was shaking her head.  “And how old is she again?” she asked.

He picked up a folder in front of him and flipped through a few pages.  “She’ll be six in March.”

“She’s so young,” I said. 

He nodded and flipped though the other pages in the folder.  “Then the younger of the other two is Sean Brunswick.  He has the power of augmentation, which means he can either enhance or lessen the powers of others.  And then the older one is Eric Royal.  He has the power of absorption, which basically means that he can simply touch you and copy your power.  It only lasts as long as he needs it or if he absorbs another power.”

All three of them sounded like something the people of Project Infinity or even Alex would want.  It was no wonder that they were the ones that they wanted.  If I were them, I’d want to make sure they were on my side also. 

“Alright, so if you guys agree to help us track them down and bring them back here to safety, I want to split you into smaller groups so you each can go get them.  I was thinking two, two, and three to each group and you’d each go find one of them.”

“But there’s six of us,” Variel said, looking around at us.

“Yes, but remember, I’m adding another to your team.”  He leaned over to press a button on the phone that was on the table in front of him.  “Send him in, please,” he said.

There were a few seconds where we just all sat there looking at each other, just waiting for whoever was going to be the seventh person on our team.  Just then, there was a beeping that came from the door and it slid open, revealing Secretary Duke’s son.

Adrian grinned as he walked toward the chair at the other end of the table and sat down.  After glancing at me and giving me a wink, he looked at his father. 

“And just what is he doing here?” Trygg asked, looking at him with narrowed eyes.  “It’s not like he has any power.”

Adrian laughed, raising an eyebrow.  “You barely know me,” he said, and then looked at his dad.  “Now.”

Before any of us could say anything, Secretary Duke pulled a gun from out of nowhere and shot it toward his son.  The noise felt like it popped my eardrums and it scared me so much I might have let out a scream.  I wasn’t the only one…and I’m not just talking about Arin and Variel.

But when all of us looked toward Adrian, there was no blood like we thought there was going to be.  Instead, he had one hand up in front of him and the bullet was suspended in the air just a few inches away from it.  He just sat there grinning and then plucked the bullet from the air, setting it on the table in front of him.

“I’ve got the power of time manipulation,” he said.  “I can slow things down, speed them up, or completely stop them.  I can’t rewind time or fast forward it, though.”

None of us was able to say anything before Secretary Duke started talking again, his gun back wherever he had gotten it out from. 

“Alright, so I was thinking that Talen and Maverick can go find Eric Royal in New York City.  Trygg, Variel, and Arin will go find Sean Brunswick in Austen,” he said, and then looked at me.  “And you and Adrian will go to Portland to find Chloe Carver.”  He pushed each of us a small stack of papers that was in the folder he was holding.  “In these are just a few things that you’ll need in order to find them.  We’ve got three private jets at the Washington National Airport ready for takeoff.”

I held up my hands and leaned back in my chair.  “Hold on just a moment.  Why in the world are you pairing me with him?” I asked, looking over at Adrian, who was grinning at me. 

“Aw, come on, Lola,” Adrian said, leaning his arms against the table.  “I’m not that bad.  Besides, you don’t even know me outside school.”

I saw Arin look at Secretary Duke out of the corner of my eye.  “And what about school?” she asked.  “And Zack and Sarah?  Did you even tell them where we were going?”

He nodded.  “As for school, you’ll be back in about a week and everything will be taken care of as for your absence.  Dr. Hill and his wife have been informed of the situation and know you’ll be in good hands with us.”

Trygg leaned forward in his chair and looked at him.  “So let’s say we do this.  We go and get these three people and bring them back here.  What exactly is going to happen with all of us then?” he asked.  “Are we just going to be sticking around D.C. or are we going home?”

Secretary Duke nodded.  “You’re going home a few hours after you come back here,” he said.  “But you’re going to be taking the three of them with you.  Plus…”

“Me,” Adrian said from his end of the table. 

“Oh, hell no,” I said, glaring at him.  “You are not living in my house.”

He just grinned.  “I believe I am,” he said. 

I ground my teeth together so I wouldn’t shout at him.  Then Secretary Duke spoke again. 

“I’m sorry if you don’t like it, but it’s going to happen, Lola,” he said, looking at me.  “We’ve got to keep all of you together.  So, again, once you get the other three, you’re going back to your house and staying there until further instructed.”

“But…” I started, but his hand cut me off.

“No buts,” he said.  “Now, you’re going to be heading to the airport now and will be departing in another hour or so.”  He stood up and looked around the table at all of us.  “I’m trusting in you guys to get this done without any complications because I feel like we’re going to have trouble on our horizon.”

And with that, he left the room. 

***Sorry it's short!  It's been a long day!  But at least I'm back!  I know you missed me!  :D

So since it is Christmas and all, do you guys want to give me 10 votes and 6 comments for another upload tomorrow?  You know you want to!!!1  

Comment, Vote, Like!!!1***