Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Anne, are you okay?" Sarah asked, walking up to Owen's grandma.

"I..."  Anne started, looking at me.  "Yes, I'm fine," she said, laughing slightly as she shook her head.  "I'm just amazed at how many of you were out here.  It's good to see how many people care for him.  He needs that right now."

Sarah smiled, nodding.  "Exactly," she said.  She took a deep breath and her eyes skimmed over me until they landed on Zack.  "I think he'd like everyone in there.  He says that he wants to all be together and see if he can remember anything more today."

Everyone started walking into Owen's room and I stood behind so I could be the last one in.  Anne stayed behind also, just watching me.  It was like she knew exactly who I was, which she probably did.  It was probably why she had that reaction to seeing me there. 

When I passed her, she reached up and put a hand to my head, smiling slightly.  I just looked at her for a moment before walking into Owen's room, her right behind me.

Owen's eyes found mine right when I stepped inside.  When I looked at him, it was like he was desperately trying to remember just who I was to him before he lost his memory.  I just wanted him to remember me also so we could go back to the way things were before, where I could kiss him, hold him, tell him I loved him.  I hated not being able to.

Owen broke eye contact with me and looked at everyone.

"Well, this is the first time that we've all been in the same room," he said.

Everyone laughed.  The corners of my mouth turned up slightly, but it wasn't a full smile.  I walked toward the seat by the window where I'd been earlier and sat down.  Everyone started talking about random things with Owen, telling him about different times they all remembered.   I could see him glancing at me everyone once in a while out of the corner of my eye.  Anne was also. 

After hanging around for about ten minutes, sitting there listening to everyone laugh and cut up with Owen, I stood up and headed for the door.  I couldn't take it.  I was slowly losing my mind.

"I'm going to get something to drink.  Anybody need anything?" I asked, staring at the door.  After a chorus of no's, I slipped out into the hallway and started to walk.

I didn't head for the cafeteria and didn't even look at the vending machines as I sat down in one of the chairs in the waiting room.  I slumped down in it and leaned my head down, closing my eyes.  Before I knew it, tears were streaking down my face.  I didn't really know why.  I think everything was just piling on me at that moment.   

"Are you okay, sweetie?" I heard someone ask from beside me as they sat down beside me.

I lifted my head to see Anne sitting there.  She reached over and put her hand to my head like she did before.  I shook my head as my tears fell silently down my face.

"I don't know," I said, my voice choked. 

I looked at her, staring right back at me.  She shook her head slightly, a look of wonder on her face.

"I just can't believe it's you," she said quietly. 

I gulped.  I knew just what she was talking about.  She was, after all, the one who saw what I was going to to Owen all those years ago.  And when she saw me outside Owen's room, she knew who I was then also.

"Yeah," I mumbled.  "But he doesn't remember who I am to him."

"But this morning was different," she said.

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at her.  "What are you talking about?"

She sighed, smiling.  "I could just tell by the way he was looking at you in the room.  When I was in there before and it was just the two of us, he never mentioned you.  Arin did this morning on the way over here, but I didn't think it would be you."

"What did you mean, the way he was looking at me?" I asked.  "He doesn't look at me any differently than he does the others."

She nodded.  "You might not have noticed, but me and everyone else I think noticed.  Even when someone was talking to him, he would always glance at you, like you'd just start talking...or like he wanted you to."

"This morning was the first time I talked to him since we got him back," I said quietly.  "It just hurts having him not remember anything.  I know I should be ecstatic to have him back with us...but I want him to be the same.  I want us to be the same.  I haven't had that in months and I want it.  I want it bad."

She smiled slightly and put her hand to my head again, pushing my hair behind my ear.  "It will," she said.  "He'll remember everything one day and everything will be just the same as it was before.  And I actually can't wait until that day.  Because then I'll get to see you and my grandson the way it's supposed to be between the two of you."

Both of us were silent then and I thought over her words. 

This morning before Variel and Trygg burst into the room, what was Owen about to say to me?  He said he knew me...but what did that mean?  Knew me as in like from school or knew me as in knew that he loved me and I loved him?

Just then, Arin and Variel walked into the waiting room.  Both Anne and I looked up at them. 

"Is something wrong?" I asked worriedly.

Variel shook her head.  "Nothing," she said. 

"We just wanted to tell you that Owen was being released now.  We'll be leaving in a little while after Zack finish filling out some paperwork saying that he was taking him into his care," Arin said. 

We headed back up to Owen's room.  A nurse was unhooking Owen from the machines and taking out his IV.  Zack was sitting on the seat by the window with Sarah beside him.  They were both looking through the papers.

Zack looked over at Owen a moment later after signing his name one more time to the last piece of paper.  "So are you ready to go home, Owen?" he asked, smiling, as he stood up.

Owen looked around at everyone - lingering on me just a little longer - and slightly smiled.  "I don't remember a thing about it," he said, "but sure."

 ***I know, I know!!!1  Hate me for it being so short!  D:  I'm sorry!  But the next upload on Tuesday will be longer!  Promise!!!1  

Anywho...

Comment, Vote, and Like!!!1***