Chapter 8

Chapter 8

That question that Owen asked me in the hallway at school was stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  I wasn't able to answer it because, right after he asked, he walked off without letting me.  If he was trying to get away from me, it really didn't work since we had all of our classes together.  It didn't help when Adrian could sense something wrong between us. 

After school let out, I walked with Owen and Adrian out to the cars.  I was debating whether or not to tell Owen that he was riding with me to go pick up Chloe.  But if I didn't, she would be upset if I didn't take him with me.

"Hey, Owen," I said, not looking over at him.

I saw him glance over at me from the corner of my eye.  He looked surprised that I was talking to him.

"Yeah?" he asked. 

He wasn't the only one to be surprised that we were talking to each other. 

"Um, Chloe asked me to bring you when I went to pick her up.  Apparently she likes you," I said.

I saw him smile slightly.  "Well, that's good to know," he said.

"Then I'll see you guys at the house," Adrian said.  I had totally forgotten that he was walking with us. 

"Adrian..." I started, but he was already walking toward the Escalade where everyone was piling into. 

"Owen, you riding with us back to the house?" Variel yelled from out the passenger side window. 

Owen shook his head.  "No, I'm going with Lola to pick up Chloe," he said.

Variel looked over at me with her eyebrows raised.  "Oh, really?" she asked.

I nodded, pulling out the keys from my bag.  "We'll see you guys in a little while," I said. 

"You two behave!" one of the twins yelled from inside the Escalade.  Everyone started laughing, but both mine and Owen's faces turned a little red. 

When we pulled out of the school parking lot, the only thing that could be heard in the car was the radio playing softly in the background.  Tension was building between us and it wasn't the good kind either.  I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from saying something.

But why did I want to not talk to him?  Wasn't that what I wanted?  To get things back to normal between us and not have it awkward like it had been all throughout school?

Apparently my internal monologue distracted me from driving because Owen reached over quickly and grabbed my hand, turning the steering wheel to the right before we ran head-on into another car.

But that wasn't what shocked me the most.  When Owen had touched me, an electric shock shot through my arm and throughout my body.  I didn't know if Owen felt it, but I knew I certainly did. 

"What was that?" he yelled.  "Are you stupid?  Watch what you're doing!"

My jaw dropped as my hand tightened on the steering wheel.  "Why are you calling me stupid?" I said angrily, looking over at him for a moment before back at the road. 

"Because you need to stop spacing out before you get us killed!" he yelled.

That's when I snapped. 

"I've already watched you die once and I thought I lost you forever!  Don't talk like that!"

My eyes were burning and I had to wipe away the few tears that escaped quickly.  I wasn't fast enough before he saw.

"What are you talking about?" he asked quietly.

I shook my head just as I pulled the Mercedes into Chloe's school parking lot and into a space.  "We don't have time," I said, putting it in park.