Chapter 4

Chapter 4

As Dr. Hill drove away from Rutherford, all I could do was stare out the window.  Everything outside flew by as we drove down the road.  All I could see were trees and a few houses passing us by.    

I looked over at Dr. Hill.  “So where are you taking me, Dr. Hill?” I asked.

He looked over and smiled at me.  “I’m taking you to the house with the other kids.  I called them earlier and they’ll be expecting you,” he said.  “And you don’t have to call me Dr. Hill.  Just call me Zack.”

“Okay, Zack,” I said, smiling.  “So you’re taking me to your house if I’m assuming that by the ‘other kids’ you mean Arin, Owen, and the others.”

“No, I’m not taking you to my house,” he said.  “Everyone thinks that it’s my house since that’s what we want them to, but I live a few houses down from them.”

My eyebrows furrowed.  “So whose house is it then if it’s not yours?”

“It’s Owen’s.  As the son of a billion dollar business, he’s got one heck of a trust fund.”

“That house is Owen’s?” I asked, eyes wide. 

He laughed and nodded.  “We had to put it under my name until he turned eighteen.  It’s under his name now,” he said.  “But everything is paid for by him.”

I shook my head in disbelief.  “Wow,” I said.  “So all six of them just live in that house together?”

He nodded again.  “Yes,” he said.  “It can be quite crazy at times, but they’re good otherwise.  The girls should be getting your room ready and it should be done by the time we get there.”

I nodded and turned to look out the window. 

I started noticing places that I recognized a little while later.  Zack turned down the road that all of the more expensive houses were on.  Passing by them, I couldn’t believe the size of some of them.  But then when we reached the house at the very end of the road that had tons of land around it, my mouth dropped open.  I never realized it was this big. 

“It’s beautiful, huh?” Zack said, grinning over at me.

“Uh, yeah, it is,” I said as he pulled into the driveway. 

The house was two stories and had the Tuscan look to it.  It looked huge on the outside and I could only imagine what the inside was like.  Off to the side there was a six car garage.   And sitting in front of one of the open ports was the Escalade that I’d watched so many times pull into the school parking lot.  The hood was up and I could see a pair of jean clad legs in front of it.

I couldn’t help when my jaw dropped when I saw who was under the hood.

Owen.

And he didn’t have a shirt on.

I quickly composed my face as Zack pulled up beside the Escalade and turned off the engine. 

“You ready?” he said, looking over at me. 

“I guess,” I said. 

He smiled as he got out.  I took a deep breath and opened the car door to step out. 

“Owen!” I heard Zack yell as I shut the door.

“What?” Owen yelled back. 

I’d never heard his voice before.  It was deep and sent chills down my spine at the sound of it.  I walked around to where Zack was standing as Owen closed the hood and wiped some grease off his hands with a cloth.