Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Since I was now in my new ‘bitch mode’, why couldn’t I have a little fun with it?  Since Owen was being rude to me, why not be rude right back to him?  Grinning, I made my way back toward him and sat down in the desk behind him.

He turned around to glare at me.  “What are you doing?” he asked.

I shrugged, grinning.  “I’m in this class so I’m sitting here,” I said.  “Why?  Do you have a problem with that?”

I saw his jaw clench and he turned back around, his back stiff.  I couldn’t help but stare at that back, imagining it not being covered up by his shirt…

Oh, God!  Stop thinking about him like that!

But he’s just so…

I said stop!

If I could only reach out and touch him…

Stop!

I covered my face with my hand and shook my head.  I really needed to find something better to do.

Throughout the entire class, all I did was stare at the back of Owen’s head.  There might have been a few other thoughts that went through my head, ones that I really wish hadn’t.

And that was because of the look Arin was giving me when I walked out of class behind Owen.  She was grinning from ear to ear and biting her lip to keep from laughing.  Variel, who was beside her, looked exactly the same.  She must have told her what I was thinking about.

Don’t even say anything, I thought. 

Arin snickered as Owen and I walked up to the two of them. 

“So how was class?” Variel asked, smiling, as she looked between me and Owen. 

“It was class,” Owen said.  He glanced down at me before stepping around Arin and Variel.  “I’ll see you guys later.”

We watched as he walked down the hallway.  He turned around just once, probably sensing that the three of us watching him.  His eyes locked with me for a few seconds before he turned down another hallway and disappeared. 

“Couldn’t you two be any more obvious?” Variel laughed as she looked back at me. 

“I…what…I don’t know what you’re talking about!” I stuttered

“Whatever,” Arin said.  “I know what you were thinking about in class…and it definitely wasn’t calc.”

She and Variel laughed again as I covered my face with my hands in embarrassment. 

I didn’t see Owen again until lunch.  In most of my classes until then, Arin and Variel were with me.  The twins and Trygg were in a couple of them also.  The twins were hilarious like they always seemed to be and I was liking Trygg even more.  He was almost exactly like my brother Alex and I could see his protective side coming out with me.  And it wasn’t just with me.  It was with everyone. 

I was getting used to the stares and whispers.  But when it was time for lunch and I walked into the cafeteria in between Trygg and Variel, it seemed like all heads turned in my direction.

“Goodness, don’t you people know it’s impolite to stare?” I asked loudly. 

Variel laughed as I started toward the line and the two of them followed. 

I was really liking this knew bitch role I was playing.  It was great.  I loved just saying whatever I wanted and not having to think about what people were thinking about me.  I didn’t have to be the good girl anymore.