Chapter 4

Chapter 4

When I went to sleep in that night, I didn’t expect what I was going to dream about. 

And I wished it wasn’t about Alex. 

I hadn’t seen my brother since I thought I killed him in D.C. in the attack.  And after I got that note from him…let’s just say that I really wasn’t in a very good mood after that.  When we’d gotten home that morning, I looked at the list of Ingenium and found his name right above mine.  And beside the words ‘mind control’ was ‘regeneration’.  So that basically meant that if I wanted to kill him, I’d have to completely destroy him.

So when Alex appeared in my dream, I really wanted it to be real.  I couldn’t do anything about that, though.

He was looking down at something lying in a bed.  Or maybe it was someone.  I didn’t know, though, because I couldn’t see who it was.  The only thing I could see was Alex.

“How long are you going to keep him like this?” a voice said from behind him, and then Sawyer – who I found out was the guy who had the power of possession – appeared. 

“Only a little while longer,” Alex said, looking down at the person in the bed. 

“I don’t see why you just don’t wake him now,” Aspen said as she snaked her arm through his.  “Then I’d get to play with him.”

Alex grinned at her.  “But I thought you liked playing with me?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. 

She grinned.  “Yes, you are fun to play with, also,” she said, and leaned up to give him a lingering kiss on the corner of his mouth.  I wanted to puke.

“You know they’re going to figure it out sometime,” Sawyer said, ignoring the two of them. 

“They don’t know we got the new list for Project Infinity,” Alex said. 

“Yeah, but…”

“We’re just going to have to get the most powerful on our side before they can start looking for them also,” Alex said. 

I woke with a start.  My heart was pounding and my head was trying to sort through everything that had happened in my short dream. 

Or could it have finally been a vision after so long?

I was thinking the latter.

I quickly shoved the covers off of me and ran to the door.  But when I opened it, Arin was standing there, eyes wide. 

“What was that?” she asked frantically.  “Alex was…”

“Something’s going on,” I said.  “I think there’s a new Project Infinity list and Alex somehow got a hold of it.”

“This is…” she started, not seeming to be able to find the words.

“Insane,” I said, shaking my head. 

We both were silent as everything went through our heads again. 

“Did you ever get to look at the person they had in the bed?” she asked.  “I couldn’t get anything from you.”

I shook my head as my heart started pounding again.  “You don’t think…” I started, swallowing hard. 

She looked at me with sad eyes.  “I don’t know,” she said.  “You’re thinking it may be Owen, aren’t you?”

I bit the inside of my lip.  “You know I am,” I said.  “It’s just…what if Alex got him?  He can heal himself…so can he heal others, even after their dead?”