1

A/N - Just so there's no confusion, Alli and Cody aren't siblings in this fanfic. He's an only child and his parents in this are completely different compared to his actual parents in real life :)

Also, I've never really wrote a fanfic like this before, so I'm not really sure on how this is going to turn out. But we'll just see how it goes. I hope you guys like it.

****

Monday's are the worst days when it comes to lunch time. By the time I get out of class, the hall is crowded. It's hard enough trying to find a seat, let alone having to stand in a queue for ten minutes whilst everybody pays for their meal. I looked around the room, searching for my friends as I waited in the line and clocked Ryan who was smiling at me, trying to catch my attention.

"Three fifty, please." The lunch lady muttered, pulling me out of my daze. I nodded as I turned to face her, pulling five dollars out of my pocket.

"Why doesn't anybody here have exact change," she muttered, opening the till. "It would make the line move so much quicker."

I rolled my eyes and took the change, smiling at her awkwardly before taking the tray and walking over to my friends. Alli smiled as she moved her coat off the chair she was saving for me.

"Hey, Bella." Jake smiled as I placed the tray between Alli and I. "How was your weekend?"

"Awful," I rolled my eyes. "I barely got any sleep because of Cody and his mum arguing. I wish they could just go one night. Is that too much to ask?"

I groaned, shoving my face in my hands. Me and Cody have been neighbours since we were six years old, but we've never spoken. It's a rarity that I even see him out of the house these days. He comes straight to school on a morning and on an evening he goes straight home.

"I'm sorry, Bella." Alli sighed. "If I were you I'd say something to you. If it's bothering you this much."

"Nah," I answered, quietly. "It's just frustrating. For once, I don't see why he can't just go home, have his dinner like a normal teenager and then just do something quietly in his room. But whatever he seems to do, it just always results in arguing."

"I agree with you," Ryan smiled, suddenly looking up from his phone. "You look a little tired but you still look beautiful, Bella."

"Flirt." Alli mumbled, looking away from the both of us.

"Thank you," I turned to Ryan and smiled. "It's nice that somebody thinks so."

"Speaking of Cody," Josh mumbled, his eyes averting to the cafeteria doors. We all joined him, turning around to see what was so fascinating. "Way to make it obvious, you literally all turned at the exact same time."

We all ignored his comment as we watched him, slowly walking through the doors. His blonde hair is tousled on his head, pushed back so it was out of his face and the red marks under his eyes are clearly visible. He looked more tired than I felt.

"He always looks so miserable." Alli muttered, turning away from him, and then everybody else copied her actions besides me, who continued to look in his direction. I couldn't seem to take my eyes away from this somewhat mysterious boy, with his sleeves from his buttoned-up shirt pushed half way up his arms and his blue skinny jeans bagging down his legs, meeting his dirty white converses.

"Bella," Ryan chuckled. "turn away."

I didn't listen. I continued to watch him until he walked out of the back doors, entering the school's garden. He eventually came to a halt outside the wall that separates our school from the rest of the world and he pulled a cigarette out of his pocket, perching it in between his lips.