The Aftermath

Warning: Super Long Chapter

Waking up was like emerging out of cold water. I didn't have that blank moment of bliss where yesterday's events flitted out of my mind, no, it came rushing at me full blast and I was left in a crying huddle. 

Alex was gone. My best friend, my one constant in my life, was gone. She had purposefully taken herself away from me and I couldn't help but think how selfish she was. How could she do that to me? How could she do this to her family? Her mother is going to be devastated, and what about her sister?

I didn't move for a long time, and even though my body begged for me to move and to eat something, I couldn't do it. My mind protested with every movement, with every thought I had of Alex I was crying fresh tears.

When I finally managed to move, I let out a broken sob at the sight of myself. I was still in yesterday's clothes and my pant knees were covered in her blood and my hands were crusted. What cruel person would allow me to sleep in this? There was no rational bone in my body as I teared at my pants and shirt, wanting to rid myself of any reminder of what had been.

I managed to make it to the bathroom and to curl into myself in the shower, drenching myself with the cold pellets. I was frozen to the touch but that didn't bother me; I wanted this pain just to prove to myself that I was indeed alive and that this was all really happening to me.

"Miss Scott? Miss Scott, you're freezing!" A woman's frantic voice screeched, shattering the silent world I had been in.

I batted her hands away from me when she tried to pry me out of the shower. I refused to move though and every time she got closer, I kicked out at her. I didn't care if she felt pain, I didn't care if she cried out from my forceful punch - she needed to understand that I was in pain and I didn't want her help. I wanted to be left in my misery.

I wasn't all that shocked when two burly men in white marched into the bathroom. The nurse had secluded herself into the corner, watching with rapt attention as the two men, with complete disregard of their clothes, clambered into the shower and forcefully dragged me out. I kicked and screamed, I made it clear that I didn't want to be touched, but they disregarded my screams and man handled me until I was laying back on the hospital bed.

The sheets were soaked by my touch and my body shook with cold as the male nurses strapped my wrists and ankles down. I arched my body and screamed bloody murder; they ignored me and I saw a syringe in one man's hand. I felt the needle prick my skin and the feeling of being uncontrollably tired take over my body. My eyelids drooped, and before everything went dark and peaceful, I saw Cassandra's worrisome face in the doorway of the room.

...

I was in a white, thin dress when I woke up. I felt calm and my mouth was dry, and I knew it was the after effects of whatever those nurses had given me. I was still strapped down tightly so I turned my head to the left, hearing a beeping sound, to see a heart monitor.

Did this mean I was a patient? My head was foggy and I wanted to scream for someone, but my mouth felt numb and all I could do was stare pathetically at the door, waiting for someone to come in and see me, to explain to me how long I had been out and what was going on.

"Lexi."

I opened my eyes at the sound of a relieved breath to see my mother standing in the doorway. Her hair was messily tied back and she looked to be wearing her pajamas. Her eyes held nothing but worry as she rushed to my side and ran her warm hand down my cheek.

We said nothing. I soaked in her warmth, wanting nothing but my mother's familiar touch. We were alone for only ten minutes before the door opened again and a new person entered my room. It was Cassandra and she looked terrible. Her eyes were sunken in, her skin pale, and her hair dull. I knew I looked the same, if not worse.