Chapter 11 - "My BFF!"

Start from the beginning

Like Chauncey was getting in touch with his feminine side, Tina was getting in touch with her masculine side. As Tina locked the door, she started searching around for a home phone. When she found it, she noticed that it was already shattered. Since the phone was dying, she decided to charge it so that she could call the police. Realizing that they would classify Romeo as a runaway, Tina realized that there was virtually nothing that she could do.

That is, until she saw something red on the floor by the pocket knife. When she crouched down and glanced down at it, she noticed small blood drops on the knife and on the carpet. With that, she decided to call Chauncey.

But before she could call him, he called her first.

"Hello?" Tina panted.

Chauncey paused, rubbing his head.

"Look Tink, it's somethin' that I gotta tell you."

"Me too, but you go first." Tina panted.

Chauncey glanced out of Tina's window nervously, taking a deep breath.

"I.......I think I might like Kevin..." Chauncey paused.

Tina's eyes widened in disbelief as her mouth cracked wide open. In fact, the news hit her so hard and so fast that she barely believed it.

"Hello?" Chauncey said.

"Wait a minute, what!?"

"Yeah, Tink." Chauncey sighed. "I'm so embarra-"

"So, you're gay now?" Tina scowled lowly.

"No! Hell no." Chauncey growled. "I just....."

Chauncey covered his face, shaking his head.

"I ain't never felt like this before. This a weird feeling, especially towards a nigga." Chauncey sighed again. "It's just he real cool, he keep on kissin' me, and he been my best friend for the last month. I even kissed him!"

"So you are gay?"

"No I'm not, Tina. Gay means that your sexual preference is boys. He the ONLY boy I......I ever liked." Chauncey groaned. "I don't like no other niggas or have no interest in no other niggas. I still like girls, but he the only nigga I'm.....feelin' like that."

"So, you are gay?" Tina repeated.

"No I'm not gay, Tina. Damn!" Chauncey scowled in a frustrated tone. "Quit sayin' that shit!"

"So you're Bi?"

"No I'm not bi! I'm still straight..." Chauncey barked. "I just like him. That's it."

Tina shook her head, leaning back.

"You know that you doin' gay shit mean that God gone turn you down and send you to hell?"

"Damn, Tina." Chauncey growled. "Some friend you are."

"Right. I'm a real ass friend." Tina nodded. "And by that, I'm letting you know that that gay shit ain't cool!"

"So what the hell am I supposed to do? Appear gay on the outside by liking girls, or appear gay on the inside and liking niggas?" Chauncey snarled. "Either way, i'ma look gay regardless! Besides, Kevin is diff....."

Chauncey paused for a while, making Tina think that he hung up.

"Hello?"

"He special. I ain't never had no girl even treat me like this, Tink." Chauncey said. "Real shit."

Tina sat there silent, causing Chauncey to scrunch his lips together.

"But just cause I'm liking this one boy don't mean i'ma go all out and get my hair done and nails did like a normal gay nigga would do when I'm out of your body." Chauncey continued. "You can be gay and still be a man."

As Tina remained silent, Chauncey decided to get to her side.

"So, what was yo' news?" Chauncey asked.

"What news?"

"You said you had something to tell me when we first got on the phone, but you told me to tell mine first." Chauncey said. "It's yo' turn."

Tina froze. She teared up as she looked at the small blooded pocket knife, clenching her jaw and looking up.

She couldn't tell him that Romeo was possibly murdered.

"I stood up to your father today." Tina said, shifting the news.

"Oh, you did?" Chauncey grinned. "What he say?"

"He said....."

Tina continued to glance down at the pocket knife, closing her eyes, placing her forehead on the tips of her fingers, and shaking her head.

"I-I'll call you back tomorrow, alright?" Tina said. "Since tomorrow's Saturday."

"Aight then?" Chauncey shrugged. "Deuces."

"Peace."

Tina didn't know how Chauncey would react when he discovered that his father may have killed his brother, but one thing she knew is that all of his sanity would go out of the window. Chauncey loved his little brother like a son, and finding out that he could possibly be dead would shatter his world.

Which is why Tina decided to keep her mouth shut, at least until she got more information.

After the phone conversation, Chauncey decided to sneak out and use Marcell's car again to drive out to the church during the hours he knew that the preacher wouldn't be there, which was around 3am. When he got there, the front door was locked, so he climbed through a window in the side of the chapel to get inside. When he walked closer to the closet, he used a small paper clip to pick the lock on the door, opening it almost right away.

"Well damn." Chauncey smiled lowly. "That was easy!"

Chauncey walked into the room, noticing that there were a few condom wrappers on the floor. He shivered a little bit, standing up on the couch and reaching up to grab the box that was sitting on the shelf above. When he slammed it down onto the table to look inside, he noticed something.

The real pink crystal ball.

"H-Holy shit!" Chauncey panted, cracking a bright smile. "I found it! I f-found it!"

Chauncey looked at the bottom, looking for any directions on how to get switched back.

"Two rubs will end the journey as a whole." The crystal ball read.

Confused at first, Chauncey finally understood what the quote meant. Two rubs and this meant that him and Tina could get switched back. Eager to do it at first, Chauncey placed his hands on the ball.

But then, he thought about it.

Him switching back meant that he would have to go back to being beat by his father, not getting along with his mother, taking care of Romeo, and last of all, he would no longer be "romantically" involved with Kevin. Chauncey thought about coming out and telling Kevin that he liked him, but then news would get out that Chauncey was possibly gay, which is what he didn't want. Not only that, but Kevin didn't like boys at all. Kevin was one of the few people who showed him what it was really like to be cared for, so Chauncey grabbed the crystal ball, placed it in a bag, and headed home. He wasn't rubbing the ball no time soon, nor was he telling Tina that he had it.

Both Tina and Chauncey were holding two damning secrets from each other that could tear their friendship into shreds. The only question was, which secret was worse?