Chapter 1 - The Day we Met

When I was seven, we transferred to Korea with my mom. She was working as consultant for fashion with the current booming KPop industry. They needed a foreigner who has an experience with big shot magazine as stylist for the Kpop artist's gaining popularity.

I could've stayed at home but both my parents decided. I'll be better staying with my mom. My dad, being in entertainment industry as well, cannot come with us to Korea. The plan of course was for me to go back home during summer breaks or my mom going back every now and then and leaving me behind.

Korea is a fairly safe place. I've learned to fend for my own at an early age. We were relocated in Busan, it was not as busy as Seoul but is not a countryside as well.

I ask my parents to not let me study in an International School. Not only the tuition is expensive; there were also no available school near our place. I studied Hangeul instead before transferring.

I love to, however, playing by myself. Growing up without siblings, you can only be happy with toys for so long.

I watch videos from youtube at home download it and play it over and over again.

Today it was skateboard.

I was able to lift myself and I was very happy. When I noticed a kid watching me behind the bushes.

I wave my hand at him and he proceeded to run. I chased him with my skateboard. He noticed that and stopped. Accepting that he wouldn't be able to outrun me with his lanky body.

"Hey, I'm Chloe"

Someone got this kid's tongue apparently.

"If it's too hard for you, you can call me Giya, that's my korean name. May I ask what your name is?" I smiled and offered my hand for shaking.

"Jungkook... " I mess his hair. He was shorter than me.

"How old are you Jungkook?" I ask.

"Eight..." almost a whisper.

"You're older than me!" I said shocked.

"You should call me oppa then"

"I would not! I would call you hyung. It's more manly. It suits you." I didn't really know the difference that time.

---
Jungkook and I become best buddies. He would download videos and ask me to do it.

I would gladly do it for him as I love to make him smile.

His brother would tease him and he would go directly to our place. Or he would fight with him with the only console in his house and go to our house crying.

Since he was small. He's also the target for bullies. I of course, being a tall girl at that time would rescue him.

"Stop doing that!" He shouted at me.

"Doing what? Stopping from getting your ass kicked?" I laughed.

"Yeah... makes me feel weaker that I already am." I heard him sob but fighting his tears.

"Kookie yah don't cry... I just don't want you to get hurt. Let's promise one thing okay? Once you can defend yourself I would stop protecting you" I raised my pinky finger.

"What's that?"

"A pinky swear for the promise!" I hold his hand and hooked on his pinky finger as well. "This means that I will not let anybody hurt you if you can't protect yourself"

He wiped his tears and smiled.

The next day, he told me he enrolled in a taekwondo class. I was happy for him.

He started to gain some confidence and the bullies, knowing that he can now fight for himself, stopped pestering him altogether.

---

"Come on do this parkour thing Chloe!" She calls me Chloe while everybody calls me Giya.

"It's hard. I need more time to watch"

"Oh it's late, I need to go home to study."

"My mom told me to invite you. She cooked beef stew. You can tell your mom we're gonna have a sleep over. We will study together."

"It's not fair. You don't study. Still you get high grades."

"Promise, I'll teach you." I put out my little finger and he immediately hooked his.

We stayed all night and slept beside each other. My mom doesn't mind. We are still kids she say. We don't do anything foolish either except for sometimes staying up late talking about anything under the sun.

Sometimes even serious stuff.

"Hey Chloe? What do you want to do with your life?"

"I wanna be a lawyer. I wanna help dad. He says we need a lawyer in the family. You?"

"I don't know yet. You're so cool. You know what to do with your life. You know what you want. You're good at everything"

"That's not true."

"It is."

"You're good at everything, too. You just lack self confidence. You're good at taekwondo now. You just learned it last month"

"I guess. Not like you."

"No one's perfect. I bet if you think real hard, you will realize there's something I'm not good at."

There was silence. We both fell asleep.

"Chloe! Chloe wake up!"

"What? Why? Are we late?" I looked at the clock it's four am.

"I realized what you're bad at! I was dreaming and I realized it"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, I was thinking about this girl. Hyerin our classmate. Jiyoung was saying she was a kinka at her age because she is really cute and I realized ---"

"What was it? Make it fast, I still want to sleep!"

"You're not good at being a girl so I doubt any boy would like you!"

I kicked him. He laughed real hard while he was also squirming in pain.

I tried to sleep again. I wasn't able to. I realized what he said was true. Half the guys at our school is scared of me.

I admit. His words might have hurt me more that my kick hurt him.