Requiem for a Dream

Now - 2016 

Damon and I had just returned home after Rayna had killed herself and declared that Bonnie would become the new Huntress once she woke. We walked inside to see Caroline, Enzo and Alaric waiting by Bonnie's bedside in the living room.

"What's happening?" Damon asked.

"Nothing's happening, mate," Enzo answered. "That's the problem. Bonnie won't wake up."

We looked at Bonnie worriedly.

  *******

Damon, Enzo and I were talking in the library of the boarding house.

Damon was pouring himself a drink. "Rayna screwed us. She failed to mention that by giving Bonnie her life, she was actually giving Bonnie her lifestyle. So now when Bonnie wakes up, she's gonna be Rayna 2.0."

"And does that gift begin with a very long nap?" Enzo asked.

"We didn't get a chance to ask as she burst into flames," I told him. "And before you ask, no, we did not get a chance to interrogate her little shaman friend, because he vanished at the same time."

"Kaylin, did the spell work or not?" Enzo asked.

"I don't know, Enzo," I told him. "I have no idea why she's not waking up."

"I mean, the least she could do to thank us for saving her life is just open her eyes," Damon told us. "Let us know whether or not she wants to murder us."

I thought for a moment. "What if she doesn't?"

"What?" Damon asked.

"Oh, both of you know her as well as I do," I told them. "Waking up means she'll have to kill us. So, what if the reason Bonnie isn't waking up is because she's Bonnie?"

  *******

I called Stefan, who was at the Grill.

"What do you want, Kaylin?"

"Do you never check your voicemail? I left you about nine messages."

"Yeah, sorry. I've been a little busy telling Matt Donovan he's the reason his fiancee's dead."

"Ooh. Do I want to know how that went?"

"Probably not. You also probably don't want to know how screwed we are with Bonnie, either."

"I'm sorry, I must have the wrong number... Because I dialed H for 'hero'. Clock's ticking, brother. You need to get your head in the game."

"My head is in the game, Kaylin. My life was blown apart when I was marked by Rayna's sword. You remember that? I had to leave everything I loved behind and run for years. So as much as I want Bonnie to wake up, I'm not exactly looking forward to doing that again."

"All right, all right, I get it. You don't have any ideas. I don't either. This conversation just got really depressing."

"Well, I never said I didn't have an idea."

  *******

Stefan was here now, talking to Damon, Enzo and me. "Rayna used to say that she had to kill me, but she didn't want to. She could sense my humanity through some sort of psychic link. So, if Bonnie's fighting the same war in her head, we need to give her some ammunition."