Somebody I Used to Know

Now - 2016 

I couldn't stop thinking about what had gone down three years ago.

After saving Stefan, I strayed away from everyone, because I needed to find a way to reverse the damage that had been done, looking through a town square of witches.

So imagine my surprise when I found out that Stefan had been following me, seeing him in the square. "Stefan? What the hell are you doing here?"

"I needed to talk to you," Stefan told me.

"I thought you were angry at your wicked siblings," I told him.

"No, I'm angry at Damon," Stefan told me. "He's the one that refused to take the scar. You're the one that tried to take it, but Valerie was too late to do the spell. You're not the reason that I was stuck in a dying man's body while a psychopath took over mine."

"Seriously, Stef, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Trying to figure out what's going on with you," Stefan answered. "You're different, Kaylin. You're intense, you're not your normal funny and relaxed self."

"Well, you're not the only person who's gone through a lot in the past three years, brother," I told him.

Stefan sighed, walking closer. "Look, Kaylin, during the three years that Damon was desiccated, I know that we were estranged. We didn't call, we didn't write. I just want to try and make up for that."

"You told me to go back to New Orleans and be happy with Klaus," I told him. "I don't know why you feel the need to make up for something that happened that was out of your control."

"Something did happen, didn't it?" Stefan asked. I sighed, looking away. "That's why you've been acting so weird."

I sighed in annoyance, looking at Stefan. "If I tell you what happened, will you please shut the hell up and leave me alone about it?"

"If I like the answer, yeah," Stefan answered. "We all know that you're not really forthcoming on answers."

I scoffed, smirking. "Screw you, too."

Stefan smiled a small smile. "Come on. We'll get something to eat. Talk about it over lunch."

"I assume that you mean human lunch and not real lunch," I told him.

Stefan gave me a look. "You assume right."

I stuck out my tongue, walking away.

Stefan smirked, following me.

 *******   

Stefan and I were at a bar and grill diner, sitting at a table, drinking beers and eating together.

Stefan's phone rang, but when he saw that it was Damon, he ignored it.

"You're not gonna answer that?" I asked.

"I told you that I'm angry and Damon, so he and I are on a bit of a time out," Stefan told me. "Stop trying to change the subject." I sighed, rolling my eyes. "You gotta tell me what happened."

"So that you can taunt me?" I asked.

"So that I know what's going on with you so I can help you," Stefan answered.

Stefan's phone rang again. He put it on silent.

"You can't help me, Stefan," I told him. "Klaus and his siblings are in a magical coma so that none of them have to die. I have been trying to help Hayley bring them back from the sleep and to save their lives, but we haven't found any answers yet. And I could go into more detail, but you would be so hopelessly confused, and I don't think I can explain it to you where you can completely understand what the hell is going on." My phone rang. I saw that it was Damon calling again, losing my patience, answering it. "What?"