The Devil Comes Here and Sighs

Flashback - 2013 

I was still in New Orleans.

The NOLA Music Days festival was happening in the French Quarter.

I was in the crowd, not really doing much with the festivities.

Klaus walked toward me. "Kaylin Salvatore still in New Orleans at a music festival, and she's not dancing in the streets. I'm astounded."

"Yeah, well, for once in my life, I'm not in the party mood," I told him. Klaus nodded in understanding. "I know all the reasons why you're not."

Klaus looked down. "Why are you not in the dancing mood?"

I sighed. "I can't return home thanks to Matt exiling any and all vampires from Mystic Falls. Stefan is traveling the world with a Heretic in an attempt to find a way to get Rayna Cruz's scar off his chest. And Damon is desiccating in a box instead of dealing with his mistakes..." Klaus frowned in confusion. I sighed, shaking my head. "It's a long story."

"Something that I would be otherwise excited to hear, if it wasn't for current circumstances," Klaus told me. I nodded in understanding. "I only came to see that you were safe."

Klaus managed a small smile, turning to leave.

I hesitated, reaching out to stop him. "Klaus?" Klaus turned back. "I haven't had the chance to tell you how sorry I am... about Finn. Losing a sibling is awful. I've lost both of mine... repeatedly."

Klaus was clearly still grieving about Finn but was mostly angry about his death, smiling weakly. "Yes. Well, I'll find solace when Lucien is dead. Him and Aurora both."

"I could help you," I told him. "You shouldn't have to do this alone."

"I'd rather do this alone than put anyone else in danger," Klaus told me.

I was surprised by the different side of Klaus I had seen ever since coming to New Orleans the first time. "You've changed... so much."

Klaus nodded in agreement. "As have you."

Klaus hesitated, walking away, leaving.

I was left stunned, not knowing what to do, sighing deeply.

         *******     

I was trying to have a good time in the Quarter with the rest of the festival, but all I could think about was Stefan's safety, Damon's sleeping, and the Mikaelson drama.

And the concern and worry I was feeling only grew more when I heard fighting in an alley off the Quarter.

And Lucien's voice. "Hello, Nik."

"Not bad," Klaus told him. "Perhaps I'll return the favor?"

I heard more fighting, looking around worriedly, following the sounds.

"Do you see now, old friend? You cannot beat me."

"Defeated at the hands of a stable boy? I sincerely doubt it."

"I'll have my moment. Yes, you still have a role to play in the prophecy I am to fulfill. You're gonna help me get Elijah."

"I'm not gonna let you hurt my brother."

"Sadly, you don't have a choice."

I found them in an alley, seeing that Lucien made Klaus stab himself in the chest with a mystical blade, making him roar in agony, horrified.