Hell Is Other People

I got to Mystic Falls in time for Bonnie to pull Stefan out of the stone. 

And I had been with him through every single horrible thing that he had been going through since he got out.

Now it was time for Damon to come out.

Stefan, Matt, Caroline and I were standing around Damon and Bonnie.

Caroline was visibly pregnant with Alaric's twins thanks to a spell by the Gemini Coven that saved the twins when Kai had killed Jo.

The Phoenix Stone was resting on Damon's chest.

Bonnie casted the spell to return his soul to his body. "Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Damon melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Damon melunaweh washaset." We were restless and worried. Bonnie opened her eyes, sighing in frustration. "The spell's not working." I sighed in frustration. "I don't understand. It's like the stone is hiding his spirit."

"Then maybe you should take a break, all right?" Matt asked. "You've been trying all day."

"She can't," Stefan told us. "The longer he stays in there, the more damaged he'll be when he gets out."

Bonnie gave Stefan an annoyed look, scoffing. "And who's fault is that? You, of all people, don't get to lecture me."

"Hey, hey," Caroline told us. "It's okay. We're all just a little bit stressed right now. Let's take a deep breath, and we can start again when Bonnie's ready."

"I don't get it," I told them. "She pulled Stefan out no problem. What's different now?"

Stefan had a haunted expression, sighing. "Because eventually, I submitted to the kind of suffering that just breaks you. Knowing Damon, he'll do anything he can to avoid that kind of pain, which means we may never be able to get him out."

Stefan gave us a grim look.

Everyone became even more worried about our chances of rescuing Damon.

        *******       

The Phoenix Stone was resting on Damon's chest.

Bonnie casted the spell to return his soul to his body. "Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Damon melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Damon melunaweh washaset."

Damon woke.

Stefan, Matt, Caroline and I were shocked to see Damon awake, standing.

Damon was in shock. "No. No. No." Stefan and I walked closer. Damon sat up, panicking about whatever happened to him. "No, we weren't done. I gotta get her back. I gotta get her back!"

Damon stood.

I worriedly tried to calm him down. "Hey, Damon, it's me. It's me. You're safe. It's okay. It's okay."

Damon looked around frantically. "No. No! One more time. One more time!" Bonnie was seriously weakened as a result of the spell. Caroline held her standing. "Send me back. I know what to do now."

"Damon, it's not real," Stefan told him.

"I know it's not real," Damon told us. "None of this is real!"

Damon thought he was still in the Phoenix Stone. He grabbed me by the arm, breaking it, snapping my neck, letting me fall unconscious.