I Carry Your Heart With Me

Flashforward

I was standing outside of Alaric's house, waiting.

I could hear Alaric and two little girls inside.

"Oh, damn it," Alaric said.

"Is it fixed yet?" Girl 1 asked.

"Not yet," Alaric answered. "Sweethearts, it's past your bedtime."

"No!" the girls told him.

"Yes, it is," Alaric told them. "Do you want to brush your teeth?"

The girls giggled. "No!"

"Yeah?" Alaric asked. "Well, too bad. Surgery will have to resume tomorrow. All right, Josie, help your sister find her PJ's, okay?" The girls didn't answer because they were in the foyer in front of me, looking at me in confusion. I smiled, holding a finger to my lips to tell them to be quiet. "Girls?" Alaric walked in, cocking one of his stake guns, stopping in shock when he saw me. "Kaylin."

I smirked. "Well, aren't you adorable?" I looked at the girls. "You girls, too."

Alaric frowned in confusion, walking closer, putting himself in between the girls and me. "Stand behind daddy."

"Why so gloomy?" I asked. "Looks like you got everything you wanted."

"The fact that you're here means somebody died," Alaric answered.

"No, not yet," I told him. "But, if you don't do exactly as I say, that could change real fast." Alaric swallowed anxiously. I leaned against the doorway. "So, you gonna invite me in?"

Alaric didn't answer, obviously nervous and anxious.

I smiled sweetly.