Best Served Cold

Flashforward 

I was in the kitchen of Alaric's house, hearing the girls' voices further in the house, looking at drawings on the refrigerator.

Alaric walked in, looking uncomfortable.

"So, tell me," I told him. "What thoughts go through a man's mind before he decides, 'I think I'll take the ones with the roosters?"

I picked up something from the kitchen counter top.

"I didn't pick those out," Alaric told me impatiently.

"Hang on," I told him, plucking a stray speck off of Alaric's cheek. "Glitter."

"Yeah, well, it goes with the territory," Alaric told me. "What the hell do you want, Kaylin?"

I became serious, getting to the point. "When's the last time you talked to your fiancee?"

Alaric paused in surprise. "I see word travels fast. She texted earlier today. Why?"

"What time was it, and what'd she say?" I asked.

Alaric pulled out his phone to read the message. "12:18, 'Do we need bread?'"

"Well, she's not answering her phone now," I told him.

"Yeah, well, she doesn't like to answer the phone before broadcast," Alaric told me.

"I don't care," I told him. "Get her on the horn. Stefan's being hunted again, and it's only a matter of time before Caroline's the bait that's used to lure him out."

Alaric realized the gravity of the situation, becoming even more panicked when he saw something behind me. "Move."

Alaric pushed past me, walking over to the TV.

A local news broadcast had just had just come on.

Caroline was sitting at the news desk. She appeared calm, but her voice was shaking, and blood was dripping down from a wound on her hairline. "We apologize for the interruption to your current program. My name is Caroline Forbes. I am a segment producer for KQBC News. Please listen carefully. I have an urgent message for Stefan Salvatore."

I was very grim, making a sarcastic comment to cover up how worried I really was. "Oh. Well, I guess the old ball and chain won't make it home for dinner, after all, will she?"

Alaric looked at Caroline on the TV in horrified worry.