One Way or Another

Now - 2016 

It was the morning after Damon and I had found Stefan/Marty in the snow.

Damon was driving us toward Memphis.

I was in the passenger seat.

Stefan/Marty was in the backseat, sleeping.

I was eating a donut, looking back at Stefan, becoming concerned that he was still unconscious, holding my hand in front of his mouth and nose to make sure he was still breathing, trying to rouse him awake. "Stefan? Hey, Stefan."

Stefan/Marty groaned, coming to. "What happened?"

"Well, we pulled your ass out of the snow, you ate a bunch of doughnuts, and then puked blood all over my nice, clean car," Damon answered.

Stefan/Marty looked down at his lap, which was covered in bloody napkins.

"You said 'everything hurt', so..." I trailed off, pulling out a grocery bag of over-the-counter medication, handing it to Stefan/Marty. "Head stuff, throat stuff, stomach stuff."

Stefan/Marty groaned again, visibly ill and generally miserable-looking. "Where are we?"

"On our way to Memphis," Damon answered. "Valerie got a line on your real body. The one with the nice hair."

"How did my real body end up in Memphis?" Stefan/Marty asked in exasperation.

Damon and I exchanged a look, looking away.

"You know what?" I asked. "Long story. How about you just focus on staying alive, okay? Sit back, relax, find your happy place... Chug one of those five-hour energy things, maybe with a cough syrup chaser or something?" Stefan/Marty started to retch, reflexively holding up the bag of medicine just in time to throw up a significant amount of blood inside of it. Damon was both frustrated and grossed out. I looked away, concerned. "Aw. Okay, Plan B."

I pulled out my phone, making a call.

"What are you doing?" Damon asked.

After a few rings, an emergency dispatcher answered. "What is your emergency?"

Stefan/Marty gave me a desperate look. "Kaylin, I can't go to a hospital. Marty Hammond got loaded and crashed a bus full of kids. There's an interstate manhunt going on."

I smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, brother. I'm not taking you to a hospital. I'm bringing the hospital to us."

           *******     

An ambulance was here now.

Two compelled paramedics were assessing Stefan/Marty's condition.

Damon turned to give me a look.

"I had to improvise," I told him. "The over-the-counter stuff wasn't working." I turned to point at the paramedics. "That's Frank, and that's Sully."

"Hi, guys," Frank told us.

"Hey, how you doing?" Sully asked.

I looked at Damon. "I've asked them very politely to make sure that Marty stays alive, and if he doesn't, then I will cut their thumbs off and feed them to the squirrels. Right, guys?" Frank and Sully rolled their eyes, giving us double thumbs up, turning to Stefan/Marty. I looked at Damon. "Meanwhile, you and I will go hunt down the sociopath that has taken residence in our brother, and then Valerie will jam his soul back... in..." I frowned, narrowing my eyes at him. "Where's the witch?"