Behind the Black Horizon

Flashback - 2013

Stefan and I were in the Salvatore Boarding House, getting ready to leave.

I was sitting on the couch in the parlor, looking at something on my phone.

Stefan walked in with a packed duffle bag. 

I looked up. "So, where are we going, brother?" I stood. Stefan grabbed a bottle of bourbon from the liquor cabinet. "They do sell liquor elsewhere, you know. It's probably best to travel light."

"Yeah, but it's my favorite kind," Stefan explained. "I'm wondering how many more of these I can have, now that I'm on a time limit."

"No time limits here," I told him. "The night is young, brother."

"I'm not talking about tonight," Stefan told me. "I did the math. Rayna Cruz won't live forever, therefore, neither will I. So, tick-tock."

I was sad by this truth, but not surprised, having already known. "And you've found mortality doesn't trouble you?"

"No, actually," Stefan answered. "Funny thing is, it makes me feel human again, like every minute counts. So, I am going on an adventure with Valerie."

I looked at him in amusement. "With Valerie?"

"Yeah," Stefan answered. "Since the Heretics are the ones that drew Rayna to Mystic Falls in the first place and are half the reason why I have this scar in the first place, she wants to help me get rid of that."

I nodded. "That's nice. So, I'm guessing you won't want a third wheel, your sister tagging along."

Stefan turned to me, patting me on the shoulders. "Kaylin, you know that I love you, no matter what." I nodded. "No matter the mistakes you make, no matter how you feel."

"Is this conversation going back to the conversation that you and I had about you not blaming me for being with Klaus when I was exiled the first time?" I asked.

"Yeah," Stefan answered. "If you want to go back, it's fine. I can't blame you after everything that happened. Besides, you said that you would return to prove you made good on your promise about keeping yourself alive."

I nodded in agreement. "That, I did. But I also promised Matt that I would help him clean up Mystic Falls before I'm exiled for the second time. It's the least I could do after vampires destroyed this town."

"Why, Kaylin, you're doing something that's not for the good of yourself, but good for an entire town besides yourself," Stefan told me. "I'm shocked."

I smiled, pushing Stefan in the chest. "Shut up." We smiled, embracing. "Just be careful, all right? And call me if you get a lead."

"I will," Stefan told me. 

We pulled away.

  *******  

Matt and I were cleaning up Mystic Falls so that it would be in peak condition when the town would be allowed to return.

So, we were shocked to see Finn, Elijah and Klaus Mikaelson walking along the Town Square, walking down the steps in the alley behind the Grill.

"I hate it here," Finn told them. "This place birthed all our pain and sorrow. I refuse to let it be the place where our sister dies. Let us not wait for Kol and his witch's tricks. Let us simply tear this town apart and find her."

Matt and I walked closer.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen," Matt told them.  

The brothers turned to face us.