Moonlight on the Bayou

It was the next morning.

Stefan and I were still driving on the road.

The gas tank was dangerously close to empty.

"So where the hell are we?" Stefan asked.

"You would know if you hadn't passed out last night," I told him teasingly.

"Well, I'm sorry," Stefan told me sarcastically. "I needed some sleep after a Huntress marked me with her sword and you dropped the huge bombshell that we're heading to New Orleans."

"Well, we're about to come upon highway 27," I told him. "We'll take it north. Eventually, we'll connect with the I-20 and want to take that west."

"And why are you taking me to New Orleans, exactly?" Stefan asked.

"There's a safe house that's been imbued with a magical disruption spell there," I told him. "Even the strongest magic can't penetrate its walls, which means Rayna Cruz's sword can't track you there. Klaus told me about the last time I was in town."

"You mean when the Strix dragged you into town against your will and tortured and starved you for weeks, and took your daylight necklace, before Klaus's crazy ex tried to kill you to get to him," Stefan told me.

"Well, Klaus is the one who saved me," I told him. "And he gave me a daylight bracelet."

"You think that he'll help us with Rayna?" Stefan asked.

"I'm not planning on asking him for anything," I told him. "Believe it or not, Stefan, but the Originals are very busy over in the big easy."

My car started to beep as we got closer to losing gas.

"Well, we're not gonna get there if we have to come to a halt on the side of the road," Stefan told me. "There's a gas station a little bit up the way."

"It's not a good idea to stop, Stefan," I told him.

"And it's not a good idea to get stranded on the side of the road, either, Kaylin," Stefan replied. "Come on."

I sighed in defeat, knowing he was right, pulling up into the parking lot of the gas station next to a gas pump.

We got out of the car.

I looked from an abandoned junker car nearby to Stefan. "Get inside, pay the price, and we'll get gone."

"Who died to make you boss?" Stefan asked.

I smirked sarcastically.

Stefan walked inside.

I started to fill my car up with gas.

*******

I was done with the gas, putting the pump away. I heard the sound of a motorcycle driving closer, looking toward the driver, almost thinking nothing of her until I saw the Phoenix Sword in a sheath on her back, sighing in exasperation. "Oh, come on." Rayna got off the bike, pulling off her helmet, glaring at me. I backed away toward the abandoned junker car behind me. "You know, I'd love to get into a fight with you again, but I have places to go."

"And I have vampires to kill," Rayna told me, drawing her sword, throwing it toward me.

I rushed to rip the car door off the junker car, using it as a shield.

The Phoenix Sword pierced right through the car door. The point of it nearly impaled my face, but the hilt on the other side pressing against the door stopped it.

I threw the car door aside, along with the sword, glaring at Rayna. "Well, look at that." Stefan walked out of the gas station. "That's all the time we have, I'm afraid."