No More Heartbreaks

Flashback - 2013 

  Lucien had attacked Cami O'Connell at her apartment.

Lucien had bitten Cami.

Cami had escaped, making her way to the compound.

Elijah had called to tell me all of this.

I walked into the compound. "Klaus? Klaus?"

Klaus was in the courtyard, drinking angrily. "Kaylin. I assume my brother called you to tell you to come over."

I walked closer. "Yeah. He was worried that you were going to do something stupid."

"I won't," Klaus told me.

"Yet, everything about the situation you're in now says otherwise," I told him. "I get it. Lucien bit and killed Finn. He bit Camille. So she's dying. He wants you to be angry. He wants you to come after him to get vengeance. He's trying to lure you into a trap."

Klaus turned to face me. "And Elijah thought that if you were here, you could convince me of letting him go."

"He thought that if I was here, I could try and convince you to not fly off the handle and do something crazy," I answered. "I get that you're angry. And I know that you care about her. And you want revenge for her and Finn. But none of us want you to get killed for it. I won't let you get yourself killed."

Klaus looked at me for a moment, walking closer. "Thank you. Kaylin. For coming here."

"Promise me that you won't get yourself killed," I told him.

Klaus sighed, nodding reluctantly. "I promise."

"I know that I don't know Cami," I told him. "But I know what it's like to care about someone and then lose them, because of your past mistakes. Because of your family. And you shouldn't have to go through it alone."

******* 

I was standing on the balcony of the courtyard, drinking, sighing.

Freya walked toward me. "I'm glad you're here."

"Yeah?" I asked. "Well, I'm just trying to be here, but not trying to intrude. If you know what I mean."

Freya nodded understandingly. "I know."

"How is he?" I asked.

"He's angry," Freya answered. "Betrayed."

"He cares for her a lot," I told her.

Freya nodded. "He does. But I don't think it's the same as what he feels for you."

"He told me that once before," I told her. "You know, there's this guy back in Mystic Falls. I care about him, like Klaus cares for Camille. But I never felt for Enzo what I felt for Klaus. I left Mystic Falls to save his life. So, yeah, I get what Klaus is going through. I just don't want to make anything any worse than it already is."

"You're not making anything worse, Kaylin," Freya told me. "I think that you being here is making it a little better."

I sighed, shaking my head, looking down. "Nothing is better about this."

The door to the compound opened, making us look toward it. 

Vincent, the witch that Lucien had dragged with him to Mystic Falls, walked inside quickly. 

Marcel was outside, trying to walk inside, but since he hadn't been invited in, he couldn't cross the threshold.

Freya waved him inside. "Come in, come in."