Savior

Aurora had dumped Rebekah's body in the middle of the ocean.

Klaus had gotten the location from Aurora's head. 

Elijah was out there, getting Rebekah now.

In the compound, I was sitting in the courtyard.

The courtyard had been completely made over with Christmas decorations, including a huge tree in the middle of the room that was adorned with white light and gold and red baubles. 

A compelled woman cut her palm, letting her drip her blood into a wine glass, handing it to me.

I took it. "Do they, like, pay you?"

The woman smiled.

Klaus walked in. "Handsomely. And with a generous Christmas bonus." He looked at the woman. "Isn't that right?"

The woman smiled, nodding, walking away, leaving.

Klaus sat beside me, smirking in amusement.

"So, you just compel her to nod and agree with whatever you say?" I asked.

"I compel her to feed me and to hang the occasional Christmas ornament," Klaus answered. "She can say whatever the hell she wants." I laughed, taking a drink. Klaus smiled in amusement. "You seem better."

I nodded. "Yeah. Thank you for letting me stay here, and giving me space to not talk." Klaus seemed pleased to hear this. "Why didn't you go with Elijah to help Rebekah?"

Klaus looked slightly ashamed, glancing around the room sheepishly. "It's not a good idea for he and I to spend hours together in confined spaces, given that the prophecy foretells one family member felled by another."

"You don't think he would hurt you?" I asked.

"I don't know what to think," Klaus told me. He sighed, leaning forward. "The damn fortune teller's predictions continue to unfold, despite all our efforts."

"Well, call me old-fashioned, but I don't let others decide my fate for me," I told him. "Not anymore."

I took a drink.

Klaus smiled a small smile, letting it fade. "I know that you and I have had many differences in the past, mainly regarding the way I treated everyone in Mystic Falls and compelling you, numerously. Now I understand why it affected you so much." I looked at him. "You said that after what Julian did to you, he compelled you to forget everything."

"And when I turned, I remembered everything," I told him, looking away.

"This is why my compulsion effected you so, isn't it?" Klaus asked. "This is why you were so angry."

I looked at him, nodding. 

Klaus seemed sympathetic.

"You know, I always fell for the wrong ones," I told him. "Starting with Julian. He's the one that ruined me. You... Enzo..."

"Do you love this Lorenzo?" Klaus asked.

I looked down, shamed, shaking my head. "No. But I do care a lot about him. Which is why I left Mystic Falls to save his live."

"There are many kinds of love,  Kaylin," Klaus told me. "That seems to be a form of one. I would know."

"There's another girl, isn't there?" I asked.

Klaus nodded. "Her name is Camille. But I don't feel for her what I've always felt for you."

I managed a small smile. "So it looks like we're in the same boat, huh?"