Mommie Dearest

Flash-forward

I was speeding my car on the highway.

Alaric was in the passenger seat.

We were on our way to the KQBC Channel 3 news station to make sure Caroline was all right after the huntress forced her to go live on the news channel to give a message to Stefan.

Alaric looked at his watch. "23 minutes."

"Just enough time for me to get in, take out little Miss Stabby-Pants and grab Caroline," I told him.

"That's it?" Alaric asked. "That's your plan? Just take her out?"

"It's simple," I told him. "It's classic. Come on."

"Yeah, listen, I saw the 'X' carved in Stefan's chest," Alaric told me. "Pretty sure she's not playing tic-tac-toe." I scoffed. Alaric gave me a look. "Look, this is a trap."

"Oh, I know it's a trap, and I'm gonna spring it so Stefan can't," I told him.

"Yeah, well, look," Alaric told me. "I didn't get a babysitter on 30 seconds notice just to sit in the car."

I looked at him in exasperation. "You're not gonna just sit in the car."

"Turn, turn, turn, turn," Alaric told me quickly.

I sharply took the turn.

Alaric had to hold onto the door to stay upright.

I pulled into the back parking lot of the news station. "There's no way Stefan didn't see Caroline's broadcast. He'll be here in a minute When he gets here, pump him full of vervain so he can't hero his way there."

"If Caroline's in danger, I'm coming with you," Alaric told me.

"She doesn't want Caroline," I told him. "She wants him. If he goes in there, he's dead."

Alaric sighed in defeat.

I got out of my car, walking inside. I walked carefully through the news station, on news, knowing that the huntress could attack at any time.

I heard Caroline's pleading voice coming from the next room. "Stefan? Stefan, please."

I sighed worriedly in concern. "Guess you're gonna have to settle for the sister, Blondie."

"Stefan, I..."

I walked into the main stage, horrified when I found that Caroline was not actually here at all.

What I had been hearing was a video recording of Caroline that had been played on every TV in the room.

The recording started from from the beginning. "We apologize for the interruption to your current program. My name is Caroline Forbes."

I sighed, stunned. "Well, that's not good."

I felt four vervain darts being shot into my back. I slowly fell unconscious.