Chapter Nineteen

"No." Zayn crossed his arms.

"Are you really going to act like this?" Lauren challenged. She was done with Zayn's bullshit.

"You know how I feel about that pesky mate of yours. She can't even fend for herself."

"She's human!" Lauren flew her arms at him. "In case you haven't realized, she is surrounded by supernatural creatures and as my mate, it is my duty to protect her! Why can't you respect that? Why are you acting like a child?"

Zayn stayed quiet as he went over his options in his head. After a few minutes, he came up with an answer. An answer he wasn't too pleased about.

"Fine." He sighed. "I'll talk with the pack tonight on arranging a meeting to protect your little girlfriend."

Lauren smiled, "Thank yo-"

"But," Zayn interrupted, "You may want to look into giving her the bite if this is going to be a serious thing. Like you said, she's a human. She can't fend for herself against any supernatural creatures and the last time I checked, this town is full of them. If you don't want to see her get hurt, you will think about it at the very least."

Lauren shook her head, "No."

Zayn scoffed. "Now who is acting like the child?"

The younger alpha froze.

He sighed as he walked closer. "Listen, I understand where you are coming from, I do. But don't you see? You are going to make the same mistake as your father."

Lauren furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm not following."

"Your father refused to change Clara into a werewolf because he thought he was protecting her to what was out there." Zayn paused. "I know what my parents were thinking. It showed a sign of weakness that ended both of their lives plus many others. Do you want to make the same mistake?"

Lauren shook her head, "I love her and I just want the best for her."

"Trust me when I'm saying that the best thing for her is this lifestyle, especially if she's going to be with you." His demeanor changed from a few moments ago. Lauren realized that this is the side of Zayn no one really gets to see. "I'm not just saying this because I think the humans are a disgrace, but for you. I'm sure you don't want to face the same fate your father did but if you keep Camila as a human, you are going to face it in the near future."

Lauren shuddered at the thought. Bad things were coming and she knew it. All the wolves knew and she was sure Camila was aware of it too. "I can't lose her."

"Then you will think about it." Zayn said, smiling slightly in hopes of cheering up the other alpha. "I'll talk with my pack tonight and arrange a meeting for tonight at the lake. How does that sound?"

Lauren nodded. "And I'm guessing you wouldn't want me to bring Camila along for this one?"

Zayn shook his head, "That won't be necessary. The meeting is about her wellbeing. Plus," he paused. "I would like to have a word with her."

Lauren gave him a questioning look but decided not to ask. She would just get the information from Camila afterwards.

Both alphas said their farewells before heading off into separate directions. As Lauren was walking back to her jeep to head home, she stuffed her hands in her leather jacket pockets and strolled back onto the dirt trail. Her mind wouldn't settle over what Zayn said to her moments before and she needed a good walk in the woods anyway.

Turning Camila into a wolf? Is she ready for that? Am I ready for that? I didn't even give her the mating mark yet.

Dozens of questions infiltrated her mind as it wouldn't settle. It was getting to the point where she was starting to get a headache so she shook her head and walked a little faster towards her jeep. She would think about it later and plus, she has her girlfriend to go see. It can wait.