Chapter Six

"Vampires."

Camila's eyes widened at Lauren's statement, "Vampires?"

Lauren nodded and looked over when she heard the strain in Camila's voice. The younger girl looked scared and Lauren took one hand off of the wheel and placed it on her arm.

"They won't harm you. I won't let them," Lauren said. "I promise."

Camila was silent for a moment. "Who was it?"

"A girl named Hailee," Lauren responded, looking out the driver's side window.

"Did she go to our school?" Camila asked.

"Junior. That's all we know for right now."

Camila nodded and looked out the window. The trees flew by and the sun was shining high in the sky, a perfect day to go outside.

"Why wasn't she in school?" Camila questioned.

Lauren shrugged her shoulders, "It's a nice day out. She could've just skipped."

The rest of the drive was silent but Lauren kept glancing over at Camila to make sure she was okay. Her expression stayed blank and she looked deep in thought.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked. She was worried for the girl next to her.

Camila nodded, "Is it okay if you can drive me home?"

Lauren looked over. Camila could see the 'are you sure?' expression written on her face so she nodded and looked out the window while Lauren started driving her home.

The ride was silent. No one said anything until Lauren parked outside in front of Camila's house.

"I'm sorry," Lauren piped up. Camila whipped her head towards the girl, baffled as to why she's apologizing.

"I didn't mean for you to get into all of this. If you want to leave, you can walk out anytime," Lauren sighed. "I want you to know that I'm not forcing anything onto you."

Camila shook her head, "Don't apologize and I told you, I'm not going anywhere." Her voice was just above a whisper, small yet promising.

Lauren nodded and a small smile displayed on her face, a smile Camila returned. They sat in a comfortable silence but it only lasted a moment before a crash was heard from inside Camila's house.

Lauren's head popped up and her eyes glowed for a second, "You should go inside. Your father is concerned about you."

"My father?"

Lauren nodded and started her jeep, "Just call for me if you want to talk."

Camila opened the car door and was about to step out when she recalled, "I don't have your number."

"I don't carry a phone around with me."

"Then how do I contact you?" Camila asked.

"Use your window."

"Wait, use my window?" Camila's perplexed tone made Lauren chuckle.

"You'll figure it out."

Camila stepped out and shut the door. Lauren drove off seconds later, leaving Camila extremely confused but she couldn't think about that at the moment. She had to go inside to see what was going on.

Opening the front door, she found her father and mother in the living room. The TV was on declaring breaking news on another teenager reported dead in the woods.