1.1

Charmaine sat on the couch with Malani in her lap feeding her. She waited for her to finish the chicken nugget she had before feeding her another one. Even though Malani was three years old  going on four she didn't do much talking.

Charmaine was worried about her baby girl, but doctors always told her that she would grow out of it.

The front door slammed close and Griff walked in sitting his keys down. Malani body tensed up. She only knew Griff as the mean guy. He never engaged in fatherly activities with Malani.

Hell she probably didn't even know what a father was.

"How you doing baby"He asked forcefully kissing Charmaine lips. She had to force herself to kiss him back ,"I'm fine"She mumbled wiping her hands off on the clothes. He looked at her bruised face. Earlier this morning she forgot to iron his outfit ,and he end up hitting her with the hot iron leaving really bad bruises.
" Damn...I didn't mean to hurt you like that man...I'm sorry"He said caressing her cheek. Charmaine hissed at the pain he caused. "Can you stop that hurts" she asked. Griff got a little upset. He was trying to make things right ,but she was pushing him away. "You always find something wrong. I'm trying to show you affection and you talking about it hurts... Well maybe if your dumb ass would have ironed my shit this morning you wouldn't have them bruises. Dumb bitch"He spat going through the cabinet.

His words didn't even phase her. It's nothing new to her,"where is my food?" He questioned. Charmaine didn't have time to make dinner. Earlier they all left out. Before Griff dropped them off

He took them out to grab something. As soon as they got back Charmaine fed her daughter and Griff came back. She didn't think he would be hungry.  Charmaine ignored him going to get Malani,"I know you heard me " he followed her out the kitchen, "didn't we just eat on the way here?" She asked picking Malani up. all day today he been acting like a bitch. Not that he doesn't any other day, "who you getting smart with ?" He questioned yanking her arm back. Today wasn't the day. She already had got beaten twice. Yesterday he forced her to have sex with her in crazy uncomfortable positions, "leave me alone "She mumbled. He smacked her across the face. It hurt cause that's where the iron mark was.  "Fuck you "she spat. She couldn't deal with it anymore. She was more likely to shut up ,and deal with it if he daughter wasn't in her arms. She couldn't just sit there while her daughter was watching. She wanted Malani to know it's okay to fight back.

Charmaine sat Malani down waiting to see Griff reaction. She was suprised he didn't hit her or anything... Yet, "oh your bold now huh?"he chuckled pacing back and forth. She knew this would lead to a cruel beating soon. She was glad that Malani somewhat understand what's going on. "I got something for that mouth "Griff threatened rushing to the kitchen. Charmaine looked at Malani ,"Run!" They both darted to the door. When they made it to the end of driveway Charmaine picked Malani up. It was a challenge trying to move quickly with her on Charmaine hip.

She made it out the gated community ,and was running through the projects. Which was the three blocks outside of the gated community. She knew Griff was out looking for her. She would just have to lay low for a little while. The only thing she had in her pocket was a debit card Griff didn't know she had.
"You okay Lani?" She asked touching her daughter face. Malani nodded her head pointing down at her shoe that had fallen off ,"Damn! Come on." She said out of breath. They walked down the street waiting on the local bus to come.  They waited beside a building just incase they happen to see Griff.  There was so much going on in the neighborhood. Kids running. Young fast ass girl dancing and flirting. Older men gambling. A few scuffles here and there,"Kain I'm positive this is your baby! He look just like you " some girl argued with red fire hair. She wasn't ugly...She was just ghetto. Charmaine recognized Kain from the place Griff took her too not to long ago.
Charmaine felt excited seeing the bus come down the street. She turned to look at Malani smiling,"ready?""yes"she smiled. That's the first word she said all week.

"You ain't going no damn where" both of their bodies tensed up at the words. Charmaine then felt defeated ,but she won't give up yet.