Waiting 4U

I took a deep breath and relaxed. It was day two of intense conditioning for dance. I stood at the bar, doing the rehearsed exercises. I did my bar split which hurt a lot. I was so out of shape. I made a note to stretch a lot at home. After another hour, I got to go home.

As I was leaving the dressing room, I caught the eye of Ashley, who was giggling with some of the new freshman girls. It was their first year auditioning. They didn’t take it seriously. They all giggled together and talked a lot. The rest of us seasoned dancers know not to socialize during conditioning. You have to make an impression. Ashley glared at me, then turned back to another girl my age. I rolled my eyes. Only 23 days left until I can get away.

We all gathered in the main dance studio, where they were going to announce who made what company. I stood by Lindsay and the other seniors. “You are going to get in.” She whispered to me. “I hope so.” I whispered back. Laurie read off all five of the seniors, all six of the juniors, three of the six sophomores, and me for the Senior Ballet Company.

I was so excited! The Junior Ballet Company was the other three sophomores, Ashley, and all of the other newbies. After we were each given our company jackets, we got to leave. I talked to the seniors and juniors, who loved me, as we got ready to go to my new best friend Lindsay’s house for a sleepover. I again caught Ashley’s eye. She glared. The other freshmen looked at me with envy. Lindsay noticed. “Newbies.” She scoffed. I gave her a smile and we headed out. I called Cody and we all told him. Only 18 days left.

I walked into StarBucks with Lindsay. After a tiring day at school and a grueling rehearsal, a frappacino was nice. “So how long will you be gone?” She asked as we sat down. “Three weeks.” I said. “I am so excited for you! You have an audition AND you get to see your man.” She nudged me. She wasn’t a fan of Cody, which was extremely nice. I smiled, “I’m going to miss you.” “I’ll miss you too! Take lots of pictures and get JB’s autograph for me!” She said. “I will!” I said with a laugh. Only 10 more days. 

I was trying to get some of the work I’m missing done when Cody called me. “Kiara!” He said. “Hey Codes.” I smiled. “How are you?” He said, “I miss you.” “Miss you too. I’m doing amazing. Senior Company is so much more fun this year. And I have a new best friend, Lindsay.” “That’s great! Have you and Jake been hanging?”

“Yeah, we hung out yesterday. We went surfing.” I said. “Sweet! What about Ashley?” “She didn’t make Senior Company so I barely ever see her, except in the halls and dressing room when she glares at me. It’s not a big deal. I just ignore her.” I said. “That’s nice to hear. You know, in 5 days, you’ll be in my arms again.” He said. I could tell he was smiling.

“Awe. You’re so cute.” I said, “You’re cuter.” He said. I blushed, “Cody!” “I know you’re blushing. You’re adorable when you blush.” He said. When can I marry this boy? We talked for an hour as I almost finished all of the work I’m missing. “Goodnight, angel.” He said. “Goodnight, Cody.” I said. I hung up. Only 5 days.

I practiced my dance at least 30 times. I looked at my reflection. I was so tired. “I think you’re ready to nail that audition.” Laurie said. “Really?” I said. “Really. Go get some rest. Big day tomorrow. Have fun.” She hugged me. “Break a leg on Tuesday.” she said. “I will,” I said, grabbing my stuff and going home. One day. <3