Moving On?

About a week later, I finally got a skype call from Cody. Jake and I had just come back from the beach. Jake was in the bathroom.

“Hey!” Cody said with a smiling face. “Hey! You superstar!” I said, “I miss you!” “Ki, I’m not famous yet! And I miss you too!” “How is it over there?” I asked. “Crazy. We’ve been unpacking all week and my dad just set up the computer yesterday. I’m going to the studio tomorrow.” He said.

Alli came up behind him. “KiKi!” She said happily. “Alls!” I said. She pushed herself in front of Cody to talk to me. “Cody! Alli!” Jake said as he came into the room. “Jake!” they said at the same time. We talked to them for a bit, then Jake had to leave.

I talked to Cody by myself. “So the first day of school is tomorrow... And I have to go without my best friend.” I said sadly. “Ki, I feel so bad. I wish I could be there with you.” He said, looking down. I looked at the time. It was about seven.

“Hey, I have to go get my stuff ready for tomorrow.” I said. “Okay, I’ll call you tomorrow. Good luck and have fun. I wish I could be there.” “Me too. Best friends forever, right?” “Right. Gold Coast’s Finest.” He said, making the sign.“GCF.” I made the sign, “Bye, I love you.”

“I love you too. Bye.” He smiled and hung up. I sighed. I sadly packed my lunch and packed my bag. I went to my room, picked out my outfit, took a shower, then did my nails. By the time I was done, it was almost nine. I hadn’t eaten dinner, but I wasn’t hungry. It was too late to eat, so I went to bed.

The next day was terrible. Jake and I walked into the school together, but he was gone once he saw his other guy friends. I tried to talk to some of the girls I was friends with last year, but they ignored me.

I kept to myself and ate at the edge of the girls’ table at lunch. I talked to one girl, but I know she just talked to me because she felt bad. I missed Cody so much. If he was here, I would be sitting with the guys and actually be included.

The only thing I looked forward to was a skype call from Cody. But it never came. I sent him a message, hoping he would see it once he got on. I called his cell, but it was off. What was going on? 

The next five months changed me. I tried so many times to call Cody, but after awhile, it said that the number was no longer available. My texts never went through. Then, his name disappeared from my skype contacts. Jake ditched me for his guy friends. 

I would just sit in my room and cry. I would look at all of my old scrapbooks, crying at the sight of him. I would just listen to this CD that he gave me until I couldn’t take it anymore and threw it out the window. Sometimes, I would just sit on the beach and stare at the waves.

My mom noticed my odd behavior and tried to talk to me about it, but it didn’t really help. What really did help was her signing me up for dance. I was a natural. My mom’s best friend was a ballet teacher, so I spent every free minute at the studio.

I quickly progressed through ballet and they put me in pointe. I got stronger and the calmness helped me clear my head and sort through my thoughts. I was finally able to deal with the fact that Cody was gone and there was nothing I could do about it.

Dance class helped me in more ways than one. I met my new best friends there. “Hi, I’m Ashley.” A blonde girl said to me on my first day of pointe. “And I’m Nora.” The brunette next to her said.

“Hi, I’m Kiara.” “I’ve seen you at school. You sit at the end of our table?” Ashley said. “Yeah.” I said, looking down. “Well, since it’s your first day, it’s going to be hard, but once you get better, you’ll love it.” Nora said. “Okay.” I said, putting on my shoes. “Do you want to go grab some Starbucks afterwards?” Nora asked. “Yeah, that sounds great.”

Soon after that, I became best friends with Nora and Ashley. They were the most popular girls in our grade, but they were super sweet. We all danced everyday together, eventually transferring to a performing arts school.

I finally felt like I had worth. Cody had always been the talented one, but now I was too. I had outgrown my shyness. We quickly made tons of friends and were super popular there too.

It’s now January. In a beanie and jacket, I walked down the street to Starbucks. It was lightly raining. I walked in to find Nora and Ashley looking at Nora’s laptop.

“Hey girlies!” I said. “Hey KiKi.” They said. “What are you guys looking at?” I asked, sitting down next to Ashley. “This totally hot guy named Cody Simpson!” Nora said.

I hadn’t heard that name in months. “Cody...Simpson?” I asked, barely getting the words out. “Yeah, he just released an EP. It’s super good!” Ashley said cheerfully.

“Wanna listen?” Nora said. “Yeah, later. We’re running late. Let me go grab my coffee so we can get to rehearsal.” “Kay.” They said. I bought my coffee quickly and linked arms with the girls. Together, we walked to rehearsal. Just when I had thought I had forgotten him, he was back.

----------------------------

So what do you guys think? Comments appreciated!

-Emmibug