Leaving

A few weeks later.

I had just gotten out of the shower and was drying my hair when I got a call from Cody. I turned off the hair dryer and answered my iPhone. “Hey.” I said. “Hey, can I come over?” He asked, sounding sullen. “Yeah, sure. Is something wrong?” I asked. “Uh, what time should I come over?” He said, avoiding my question. “Just come in like twenty minutes. I’m still doing my hair.” I said. “Okay, See you then.” He said and hung up. That was really weird. I put my phone on the counter and continued to dry my hair. I left it down as it was naturally straight and put on my makeup.

I put on a cute tank top with brown shorts and brown flip flops. I did a once over in the mirror and walked downstairs. “Hey, Mom.” I said to her as I passed her office, “Cody’s coming over.” “Okay,” She said, typing on her computer, “Have fun.” I walked to the kitchen where I ate a bowl of cereal and drank some water. I put my stuff in the sink and the doorbell rang. I ran to the front door and opened it to find a sad-looking Cody. “Cody, what’s wrong?” I said as he came in. “Nothing.” He said, his expression becoming happy, “Want to go for a walk?” “Yeah, sure.” I said. We went out the door again and walked down to the beach.

It was about noon and the sun was oddly not that hot. “Kiara, I want you to know that you are the best friend a guy could ever have and I don’t ever want to lose you.” He said with a small smile. Oh my God. Was he going to tell me that he liked me? Or that he knew that I liked him?

“I remember when I first met you. We were in kindergarten and you were in a pink dress. You were so shy and you sat in your seat, perfectly quiet. And I thought that was the oddest thing, since I was super loud. So I had to go investigate. And now, here we are. Best friends forever.” He said with a smile. He took my hand and he swung our hands slightly.

“Kiara, after I tell you this, it’s okay if you hate me forever. It’s okay if you never want to see me again. I just want you to know that you will always be my best friend, no matter what.” He said. I just looked at him, slightly puzzled. He took a deep breath, “Ki, I’m moving.” It hit me like a bus. He was moving?!?! Right before our most important year of middle school? It was supposed to be the best year ever. “What?!” I said, “You’re leaving? Before eighth grade? You said it would be the best year ever!" I felt tears streaming down my face.

He enveloped me in a hug and I cried into his chest. “Kiara, I am so sorry. It’s for my career. Shawn signed me and wants me to move to LA.” He said, starting to cry too. “But that’s so far away.” I said into his chest.

“I know, but we can skype every day and call every day if you want. Anything to make you happy because I know this is going to hurt you so much.” He said, stroking my hair. “Are all of you leaving?” I said. “Yes.” He said. I cried even harder. 

I don’t know how long we stood there in the sand crying, but I remember Cody picking me up bridal style and carrying me home. I woke up in my room, with a note on the bedside table. It said: Ki, call me when you wake up. -Cody

I picked up my phone, wiping my eyes. “Kiara?” I heard Cody’s voice say. “Hi.” I said meekly. “Are you okay?” He said concerned. “No.” I said, starting to cry again. “Come over.” He said. “Okay.” I said. I redid my makeup and walked to Cody’s house, which was only a few blocks away.