Everything Can Change

I hugged Bear as tightly as possible. I had just started bawling. My mom hugged me. “Please tell me you’re lying.” I sobbed. “Honey,” She said. “Please.” My mom sighed, “Honey, Rachel is dead.” This couldn’t be happening. Me and Cody had seen her yesterday. She was extremely weak. Her birthday was only a few days away. She was still excited. She talked to Cody for about an hour. He had just flown in from LA.

We were going to see her today, just a bit later than usual. I was about to leave when Mr. Smith called my mom. I should have been there. My heart broke in half. She hadn’t made it to fifteen. Why her? Why did she have to get cancer? She didn’t deserve to die. She was so young. My mom released me and left the room. I shoved my face into Bear and thought of Rachel again. I had gotten Bear the day Rachel met Cody. I cried even harder. A few minutes later, I felt someone put their arms around me. I looked up to see Cody, a tear running down his face. I buried my face into Bear as Cody held me.

“Now, Rachel’s best friend, Kiara, would like to say a few words.” Cody squeezed my hand and I stood up. I walked up to the podium and tried not to cry. I wiped my eyes. “I remember the day I met Rachel. She was a ball of sunshine. She was so positive. Her happiness was contagious.” I smiled then sniffled. “She was one of the best people I have ever met. She was always there for me. She knew how to make me laugh. I could tell her anything. She was one of the best friends a girl could have,” Tears fell down my face.

I wiped my eyes and looked at everyone’s tear-stained faces. I saw Cody, his eyes puffy, and he gave me a small smile. “She was also one of the bravest people I have ever met.” I sniffled, “She didn’t deserve to get cancer. No one does. But she stayed strong. The last few days of her life...” I said, sniffling. “She was brave. She kept a smile on her face.” I wiped my eyes, “Rachel was the most inspiring person I have ever met. She was my sister. I love you so much, Rachel.” I said, crying, “Thank you.” People clapped and Mrs. Smith cried and hugged me. “She loved you so much, Kiara.” Mrs. Smith said. I cried more and returned to my seat. I cried into Cody’s chest and he put his arms around me. I looked up at him and tears fell down his face. Eventually, I released him and held his hand. A few more family and friends said a few more words. The mass finished and they took her casket out of the church.

I whispered, “Goodbye, Rachel,” as the casket passed. We went to the cemetery and they buried her. I clung to Cody the entire time. We went to the celebration of life dinner. I didn’t go up to get food. I sat and cried. A lot of people looked cried out and started to have cheerful discussions about Rachel. “You need to eat, Kiara.” Cody said. I shook my head. “You haven’t eatn all day.” “I’m not hungry.” I whispered. He was cried out too. He walked over to the buffet and put some things on a plate. He came back with some noodles and a roll. “Eat.” He said. I took a bite of my food and felt slightly better. After talking to some of Rachel’s friends, Cody got to sing.

“Hey everyone. Cody is going to sing a song in memory of Rachel.” A man said into a microphone. There was a small stage area and Cody went up to it. He grabbed his guitar and tuned it. “Hi everyone. This is a song that I wrote for Rachel. It’s called Blue Eyes. We love you Rachel.” He said. He played a few chords and started singing. The song was very beautiful. I cried a bit. Everyone clapped when he finished. I felt much better. I hugged Cody when he came off the stage. “That was beautiful.” I whispered. He was hugged by Mrs. Smith and was pulled away from me. I talked about Rachel with some of her friends and everyone was getting happier. I spent the whole night sharing hilarious stories about me and Rachel. I still missed her and was extremely sad, but I was going to keep my head up.

A week later, we finished our dance season. Our show was in honor of Rachel and the proceed benefited the Rachel Smith Cancer Research Foundation. I was free and I was extremely happy when my mom told me some amazing news. “Honey, we’re moving. To LA.” My mom told me. “We-we are?!?!” I said. “Yes!” My dad said. “Oh my God!” I said, hugging them, “I love you! I love you!” “You’re welcome honey. You had the apprenticeship and your father got an amazing job offer, so we couldn’t resist! We’re moving in a few weeks.” “Really?” I said, “I am so so excited!” I knew I was going to miss my friends, but I could always visit when Cody visited Gold Coast. Wait, Cody! “Are  we living near Cody?!”

“Yes! A house down the street from him was for sale and we bought it!” My mum said. “Oh my God! I have to call Cody.” I pulled out my phone and called him. “CODY!” “What?!” He chuckled. “I”mmovingtoLAandI’mgoingtobeyourneighbor!” “You are?!?!” He said excitedly. “Yes! I can’t believe you understood that!” I laughed. “I have to call Alli! I’l be right over!” He said. “Okay, see you in a few!” I said then hung up. “EEP!” I said. I was going to be living in the city where dreams are made of. I was going to be an apprentice at a spectacular dance company and I was going to live near my best friend! Could this get any better?!

A week later, I was busy packing my stuff. Cody was coming over soon. Cody. This is totally cheesy, but I couldn’t get him off my mind. I knew it. I never stopped loving him. But what if he doesn’t love me anymore? Or what if it ends terribly like last time? Or am I over thinking everything? Ugh. I cleared my head and packed up some clothes. Cody was going to be here any minute. “Hey.” He said, coming into my room. “Hey,” I said, standing up. “How are you?” He said, sitting down on my bed. I sat down across from him, “Excited.” “That’s good.” He smiled. I looked into his eyes and melted. They were so gorgeous. I had an instinct. I took a chance. I closed the distance between us and crashed my lips onto his.