Ephraim

"Ephraim has mixed himself
           among the peoples;
      Ephraim is a cake unturned.
      Aliens have devoured his strength,
      But he does not know it;
      Yes, gray hairs are here and there on
            him,
      Yet he does not know it.
      And the pride of Israel testifies to his
            face,
      But they do not return to the LORD
            their God,
      Nor seek Him for all this.
     "Ephraim also is like a silly dove,
            without sense---
       They call to Egypt,
       They go to Assyria.
       Wherever they go, I will spread My
             net in them;
       I will bring them down like birds of
             the air;
       I will chastise them
       According to what their congregation
             heard.
                            Hosea 7:8-12

I knew that Ephraim was Israel, but didn't know exactly why - the birthright was Joseph's. Manasseh and Ephraim were Joseph's sons, with Manasseh being the oldest. The blessing from Jacob (Israel) went to Ephraim instead of Manasseh. So that is why Ephraim is referred to as Israel - I am sure there is more to this story. (Jeroboam, the first king of the northern tribes, was also from the tribe of Ephraim.)
I think God wanted me to learn about Ephraim, but Egypt and Assyria still make me wonder; I don't understand the relationship. God, of course, is not happy with Ephraim's disobedience.
The reference to gray hairs hairs is interesting to me. Ephraim is declining but they don't know it. The funny thing is that when people stray from the LORD this is inevitable. God is always there for us; He is faithful and loyal as long as we do what He wants - is that so hard? Love God and put Him first! Tell God that you love Him.

Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is:  'Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one.
    'And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'  This is the first commandment.
    "And the second, like it, is this:  'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'  There is no other commandment greater than these."
                         Mark 12:29-31