Chapter 57 - L'histoire de Malfoy

As the train slowed down in the approach to King's Cross, Emily thought she had never wanted to leave it more. She no doubt loved Hogwarts with all her heart, and she was thankful for Dumbledore for allowing her to retake her OWLs after lifting her expulsion, but there was a part of her that remained wary all of the sudden.

When the train finally puffed to a standstill, she lifted Hayley's cage and prepared to drag her trunk from the train as usual. When the ticket inspector signaled to her, Blaise, and Daphne that it was safe to walk through the magical barrier between platforms nine and ten, however, she found a surprise awaiting her on the other side: a group of people standing there to greet her whom she had not expected at all.

There was Mad-Eye Moody, looking quite as sinister with his bowler hat pulled low over his magical eye as he would have done without it, his gnarled hands clutching a long staff, his body wrapped in a traveling cloak. Tonks stood just behind him, her bright bubble-gum-pink hair gleaming in the sunlight filtering through the dirty glass station ceiling. Next to Tonks was Lupin, his face pale, his hair graying, a long and threadbare overcoat covering a jumper and trousers. At the front of the group stood Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, dressed in their Muggle best, and Lee, Fred and George, who were all wearing brand-new jackets in some neon green, scaly material, except for Lee he wore a gold colored one.

"What poor animal died for this monstrosity?" Emily teased, tapping on an exceptionally sparkling button on Lee's new jacket, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's still alive."

Lee looked at her with a mischievous air, "Oh come on now, is that how you should speak to your employer?" She immediately frowned at his questioned, now looking at Fred and George for further explanation. "Professor McGonagall wrote to us, she's decided that you spend the summer working for our shop instead of Ollivander's. Says that he has enough youngsters interning at his shop to learn about wandlore." George said with a wink. "Also serves as punishment for you being expelled and all." Added Fred.

"Well, that sucks," Blaise commented, patting Emily's back, "Have fun working over the summer, you prick." He said, giving her one last hug before leaving the platform with his mum. Daphne shrugged, watching her butler approach her and pick up her things, "It's better than working in a stuffy wand shop, I'll try to drop by sometime." She kissed Emily's cheek, and then left with Astoria by her side.

"You haven't said a word." Lee said, his smile fading, "Thought you actually might be happy about working with the three of us." Emily nodded slowly, catching a glimpse of Remus who was talking to Tonks, "I'm excited about it – It's just a lot to process given the circumstances." He nodded, moving closer to her to give her a hug, "It's good to see you, Em. I'm sorry for all the pain you had to endure this year, I wasn't there for most of it, but I'm here now, aren't I? You talk to me whenever you need to."

Emily hugged him back, and then gradually pulling away, "Thanks, Lee." Was all that she could say to him right then and there. Emily doubted that she could confide something so deep to Lee, but then again, it was Lee Jordan we're talking about here. Maybe he could be of guidance.

"You look troubled."

"I could say the same to you." Emily's attention soon fell on a boy standing alone in the far corner of the platform, a boy wearing what she assumes is the most expensive dark wool cloak that brought out the steel grey tone of his eyes. Draco Malfoy stood there waiting for his mother alone with his trunk and eagle owl. Lee saw what Emily was staring at and nudged her, "You can talk to him, you know?"

"If you've been reading the news, you know why that's not a good idea."

Lee scoffed, jamming his fists inside his pockets, "Well, it's damn better to do it than spend the rest of your young life wondering what could have happened if you did went... You owe it to yourself to have some closure, Em." She couldn't fight that thought, so she left her things with him for a moment and made her way to Draco Malfoy.