Chapter 21 - Detention with Umbridge

"What are you doing here, Nott?" Emily asked as she turned a page from her Potions book. She was currently in the Slytherin common room with her study group consisting of Daphne, Blaise, and Draco. They had been given a load of homework, Blaise originally planned on obliviating Professor Trelawney to forget about the month's work of homework due to the Dream journal but Daphne had pitched the idea of making hilarity out of it. Her first dream entry was about her being chased by a swarm of human sized marshmallows.

Theodore Nott stood over the group, having trouble with the right words to say, "Professor McGonagall gave me a week's detention – "

"So sorry to hear about that, Theodore dear," She said, vaguely acknowledging his presence. Draco shot a look at Blaise, a smirk appearing on his pale face. Theodore didn't give up; he stood there still, and said "I want to apologize, Potter. I really am sorry."

Emily finally looked up at him, seeing that his nose had healed but still had a bright blue bruise. She did feel sorry for the boy, after Theodore had harassed her, Emily had made the owls in the owlery to lay their droppings on his mail. She had even made the effort to put Flobberworm mucus in his toiletries.

"I am completely at your mercy, Potter," He added, his shoulders sagging, "I'll do anything."

"Anything you say?" Blaise said slyly, nudging Emily's shoulder. However, she did not feel the need to make an embarrassment out of Theodore's life. Emily actually felt sorry for him. She sighed deeply, looking over at her study group, and then at Theodore, "Sit down, Nott. We have a lot of work to do."

Draco, Daphne, and Blaise looked at the young Slytherin in appraisal, baffled by her sudden change of heart but nevertheless, they were somewhat proud of her.

"Gryffindor!" Draco said in between coughs, rolling his eyes at Emily. She merely laughed, tossing an empty ink bottle which he successfully caught mid-air, "Stop playing around and fill that up, Merlin knows we'll need more of it." Said Emily, making a face at him before he left to get more ink, "Now, where were we?"

Daphne put down her quill, grabbing her friend's attention, "Seriously, though, you're not going to make Theodore do anything? You're not going to make him dress up as the Fat Lady and walk around the halls, opera singing? Or, exotic dancing in the middle of the Great Hall? Not even make him do our laundry?"

"As tempting as your suggestions are, Daphne, the sheer pleasure of having the entire student body seeing him get beat up by me was enough," Emily said quaintly, grinning, "By the way, was Madam Pomfrey able to put your tooth back in?"

He shook his head, looking at her bashfully, "No, that was a goner." Theodore said, pulling out his copy of the Charms textbook, "Never mind that, I've been meaning to get that sucker out for a long time."

People were coming back from dinner now. Emily kept her face averted from the port hole but could still sense the stares she was attracting. "Shall we do Snape's stuff first?" said Draco, walking back to the group with a full ink pot in hand. "The properties of moonstone and its uses in potion making." Blaise muttered, writing the words across the top of his parchment as he spoke them, "There." He underlined the title, and then looked up expectantly at Emily, "So what are the properties of moonstone and its uses in potion making?"

"Beats me," She said, watching one of the Carrow twins walk up to her with a nasty expression on her face. It was Flora Carrow, Emily suspected. It wasn't easy spotting the difference between them, but she managed to differentiate them due to the freckles Flora had across her nose.

"Good evening, Flora, what brings you here?" Emily asked, folding her hands on her lap.

Flora scoffed, smoothing down her hair, "Your blasted owl attacked me again! Do something about that wicked bird of yours, it shouldn't even be sitting around in the dorm – "