Chapter 38 - St. Mungo's

After breakfast, Emily spoke with Remus in her bedroom where no one could eavesdrop on their conversation. She began telling him of the peculiarities she had been witnessing over the past few months. The little blind girl named Daisy in St. Mungo's, the stone archway in a sunken pit, Draco's attitude, and the abrupt shock of pain in her scar.

"You met a blind girl in St. Mungo's? What were you doing in the hospital in the first place?" Remus asked. Emily wanted to curse herself, but instead kept her composure and told him the first thing that came to mind, "I was visiting my old Healer, just dropping by to say hello and then this little girl came up to me – she was bloody blind, Remus. I asked her if I could help her walk back to her room, and then out of nowhere she touched my face." Emily paused, remembering the chill that ran down her spine when Daisy touched her scar, "She said dragon, tell me how a blind girl knew what scarred me?"

Remus looked at her oddly, dumbfounded by Emily's tale. He tried to formulate a reasonable explanation as to how a blind girl could know what deformed her goddaughter's face. But then again, this was the Wizarding world they were talking about. Who knows how many magical oddities young witches (especially in St. Mungo's) possess? "If there's one thing I've learned in life is that if something doesn't make sense at present, an answer will make things clearer in the future." He said with a sigh, "Now, you've been dreaming about the stone archway ever since. Are there any changes?"

"It's the same as it's always been, but – "

"But?"

Emily felt a shiver run down her arms. She remembered the dream awfully clearly, "I reached out to the archway. I never did that before." Remus nodded, "What happened when your hand touched it? What did you see?"

"I didn't see anything – When I touched it, I felt something pull me back and then I woke up." She felt helpless. She felt more than humiliated by the fact that she couldn't help but just stare at her problems until someone else could help her fix everything. Remus saw the sad look in her eyes and sat her down with both his hands on her shoulders. "We can get through this, darling. I believe in you." He said genuinely, "And you're not going mad – you're just tired, alright? Go get some sleep before you lot head off to see Mr. Weasley. We'll talk more soon." Emily smiled lightly, hugging Remus tightly as she could before he left her alone in her room.

Before Emily could close her eyes to force herself to sleep, her brother had let himself in her room and lied down next to her. She acknowledged Harry and gave him a pillow, having the feeling that he had the same conversation with his own godfather. It did not take long for Ginny, Ron, and Fred & George to appear in her room. Ginny stayed at the far corner near Emily's bookshelf where she took great interest in a book of poetry. Ron had slept almost instantly when he propped himself up on the extra mattress on the floor. Meanwhile, Fred & George were doing their business with their joke shop and stayed at Emily's study table.

Emily wondered why they all spent their spare time in her room when there was a sizeable guest room right next to hers. But even so, she enjoyed their company. She and Harry kept themselves deliberately uncomfortable, determined not to fall into a doze, terrified that they somehow might become the serpent again in their sleep and awake to find that they had attacked everyone in the room, or else slithered through the house and escape to the public.

In a few hours, Remus had let himself in the room and alerted the others to eat their lunch before leaving for St. Mungo's. Afterwards, he said goodbye to Emily and left for Oxfordshire, leaving his goddaughter feeling quite alone despite being in a house full of people. Their trunks arrived from Hogwarts while they were eating so that they could dress as Muggles for the trip to see Mr. Weasley.