Chapter 56 - There's Something Wrong With Emily

HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED RETURNS

"A brief statement Friday night, Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He-Who-Must-

Not-Be Named has returned to this country and is active once more. "It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord — well, you know who I mean — is alive and among us again," said Fudge, looking tired and flustered as he addressed reporters.

"It is with almost equal regret that we report the mass revolt of the Dementors of Azkaban, who have shown themselves averse to continuing in the Ministry's employ. We believe that the Dementors are currently taking direction from the notorious dark wizard. We urge the magical population to remain vigilant." The Ministry is currently publishing guides to elementary home and personal defence that will be delivered free to all Wizarding homes within the coming month."

The Minister's statement was met with dismay and alarm from the Wizarding community, which as recently as last Wednesday was receiving Ministry assurances that there was "no truth whatsoever in these persistent rumours that You-Know-Who is operating amongst us once more." Details of the events that led to the Ministry turnaround are still hazy, though it is believed that He- Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and a select band of followers (known as Death Eaters) gained entry to the Ministry of Magic itself on Thursday evening.

Albus Dumbledore, newly reinstated headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, reinstated member of the International Confederation of Wizards, and reinstated Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, was unavailable for comment last night. He has insisted for a year that You-Know-Who was not dead, as was widely hoped and believed, but recruiting followers once more for a fresh attempt to seize power. Meanwhile the Mr. Harry James Potter and Ms. Emily —

"In all of my time in Hogwarts, this is the first time I have visited Slytherin Tower." Minerva McGonagall said as she strolled inside the dorm room. Emily looked up from the Daily Prophet and was mildly surprised to see her there. She had found a copy in the common room a few minutes earlier before taking it for herself and reading it in the dorm; Emily had sworn this time last year that her 5th year would be completely normal... With all the havoc unravelled, it was impossible to achieve.

"It's colder in here compared to Gryffindor Tower," McGonagall said, trying to make conversation with Emily, "But I suppose that is because we're right in the middle of the Black Lake –"

"Sirius died," Emily blurted, finally making eye contact with her aunt as she dropped the newspaper on the floor, "Cedric died, and now Sirius is dead – Who's next here?" She said in a shaking voice. The elderly witch sat down on the bed next to her, pulling her closer so Emily could rest her head on her shoulder. "Dumbledore has informed me about what you two have talked about yesterday, and I believe I owe you an explanation."

The young girl did not move from Aunt Minerva's shoulder, but only nodded to tell her to carry on with her words. "After Voldemort killed James and Lily, Hagrid was sent to take Harry away to the Dursleys – He tried to reason with me, saying that I should speak with the headmaster before taking you for me to care for... I wanted so much to raise you myself, but Dumbledore insisted that you be given away to a Muggle orphanage. He didn't stop me from watching over you, and I was thankful for that. Not a day went by in those nine years that I wasn't there protecting you – however, I was foolish for trusting Dumbledore's plans too much.

A child's magic should be nurtured, it was never meant to be forcefully hidden. Back in the day when witches were burned, children born of magical blood grew scared to the extent that their fear of being burned killed them instead of the actual witch trial. Magic truly is might, and when you plant fear in it, it becomes dark. A type of darkness that kills children before they even reach the age of 10 – And in those nine years I've watched over you, I feared that you had that darkness inside.