Chapter 36 - Hagrid's Return

Blaise was the only one who visited Draco in the hospital wing after the game. Madam Pomfrey had to call in Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape in order to put his face back in order since Emily had cursed and transfigured certain areas of his face and neck. It was quite gruesome to look at since Emily's magic had left traces of blue bruises, but nonetheless, he was back to normal.

"What in the name of Merlin almighty is going on with you, Malfoy?" Blaise asked slipping into the seat near his bedside, "It's as if you have a death wish."

Draco wished that he did have a death wish, all things considered, he would rather take a killing curse straight in-between his eyes rather than breaking Emily's heart like he had done earlier. "It was just a bit of fun – "

"Bit of fun? You insulted her brother's closest friend along with his parents, and to top it all of you also threw in Emily's dead mother in the insult parade." Blaise said, his voice strained, "I dare you to enlighten me because I really cannot see the reason behind all of this."

I'm losing you too, Draco thought as he took in Blaise's words. If it puts your lives out of the equation, then so be it. He turned his head to face him in one sharp movement, his mouth in a scowl as he spoke, "It's none of your business, Zabini. I don't have to explain every little thing I do to you – "

"YES. When it comes to bullying my best friend, you do have to explain." He interjected, quickly standing up from his seat, "I'm going to leave now, and please note that this will be the last time I will ever see you as my friend – or to be exact, what used to be my friend." Blaise curtly said, "I don't know who you are anymore, mate. Just leave us alone."

His footsteps echoed in Draco's ears, his chest tightening as he heard the door of the hospital wing close with a slam. It had pained him immensely to lose both his closest friends on the same day. Draco kept telling himself that it was the better choice, that what he did was right. If I didn't do it... If I make a mistake during a job given by You-Know-Who, their lives would be at risk.

Draco could not help but smile at how well Emily had executed her anger – She's so brave, he said to himself admirably. All that he could hope for her was to grow stronger and braver. Merlin knows that Emily needs to be all those things. A storm is coming your way, Draco thought as his eyes grew heavy with sleep, Pray that you'll be ready when it comes.

~

Hagrid's return at the staff table at breakfast next day was not greeted with enthusiasm from all students. As Emily observed, only a few students like Fred, George, and Lee, roared with delight and sprinted up the aisle between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables to wring Hagrid's enormous hand; others, like Parvati and Lavender, exchanged gloomy looks and shook their heads.

Emily knew that many of them preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank's lessons; she also thought the same since Grubbly-Plank's idea of an interesting class was not one where there was a risk that somebody might have their head ripped off. But a small part of her wanted Hagrid to return to teaching post she liked his method of educating.

As though to complete the ominous picture, Hagrid was carrying what looked like half a dead cow over his shoulder. "We're workin' in here today!" Hagrid called happily to the approaching students, jerking his head back at the dark trees behind him. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark..."

"What prefers the dark?" Emily heard Lavender say sharply to Parvati, a trace of panic in her voice. "What did he say prefers the dark — did you hear?"

"Ready?" said Hagrid happily, looking around at the class. "Right, well, I've bin savin' a trip inter the forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare, I reckon I'm probably the on'y person in Britain who's managed ter train 'em —"