Chapter 43 - Occlumency

Emily spent most of the next day dreading the evening. Her morning Potions lesson did nothing to dispel her anxiety, as Snape was as unpleasant as ever, and Emily's mood was further lowered by the fact that members of the D.A. were continually approaching her in the corridors between classes, asking hopefully whether there would be a meeting that night.

"I'm not really sure yet," She says to every member, "I have to do a bit of extra credit late at night if I want to pass." Emily then on looks at her brother to carry on the lie, "I'll let you know when the next one is," Harry said over and over again, "But I can't do it tonight, I've got to go to — erm — Remedial Potions..."

"You take Remedial Potions?" asked Zacharias Smith condescendingly, having cornered Harry in the entrance hall after lunch. "Good Lord, you must be terrible, Snape doesn't usually give extra lessons, does he?"As Smith strode away in an annoyingly buoyant fashion, Ron glared at him. "Shall I jinx him? I can still get him from here," he said, raising his wand and taking aim between Smith's shoulder blades.

"Forget it," said Harry dismally. "It's what everyone's going to think, isn't it? That I'm really stupid —"

"Hi, Harry," said a voice behind him. He turned around and found Cho standing there. "Oh," said Harry as his stomach leapt uncomfortably. "Hi."

"We'll be in the library, Harry," said Hermione firmly, and she seized Ron above the elbow and dragged him off toward the marble staircase. "Had a good Christmas?" asked Cho.

"Yeah, not bad," said Harry. "It was quite nice, actually," Emily added, smiling at the memory of pranking Harry with color changing combs. She looked at her brother and then at Cho, cursing herself as she realized that she was being a third wheel, "Well, I'd best be off – it was nice chatting with you Cho." Emily scuttled off back to Slytherin tower to mentally prepare herself for what was about to go down tonight. She could feel her stomach do turns and flips – Emily couldn't tell if it was just her nerves acting up or a product of Harry's conversation with Cho via their twin link.

There were little to no people in the common room, only a handful of third years were scattered around doing their homework. Emily lounged on the empty couch, mindlessly touching the charms of her bracelet until she had encountered her ring. She stared at it for a while, debating to herself whether it would be a good idea to wear it again.

"Excuse me – "

Emily looked up and saw a lanky third-year boy with a textbook and several pieces of parchment in hand, "I'm sorry to disturb you, but could you help me with Ancient Runes? I'm having a bit of trouble." He explained, embarrassed. She nodded, "What's your name?"

"John."

"Well, John. Take out your quill and I'll try to help." A bright smile appeared on his face, John then pulled out a pen from his robes' pocket. Emily smiled as well at the sight, "You're a Muggleborn?" She asked, flipping open the Ancient Runes book. He nodded, his eyes widening, "Is that a bad thing?" Emily looked up at the boy, "It's never a bad thing."

~

Draco Malfoy quietly exited his dorm and went down the staircase to the common room. Very few students were still finishing their homework; most of them were third years fussing over Transfiguration and Ancient Runes. He couldn't help but to smile at them, he remembered himself stressing over simple things such as academics. Draco wished it was only his education burdening him up until now.

"You're making good progress, John. I'm proud." He heard a gentle voice echo throughout the common room. Draco avoided being seen by anyone, he sat in the farthest corner near the curtains as he searched the room for that familiar voice.