Chapter 39 - Unexpected Visitors

Emily did not leave her house until Remus and Mrs. Weasley made sure she was warm enough under two jumpers, a very thick scarf, and a pair of the thickest sweatpants she owned. Even though she was only going next door to visit the Adamsons, Emily felt like she was prepped to visit the Arctic on a December night. It was the whitest Christmas she had ever witnessed.

Before she stepped outside, Mrs. Weasley gave her a huge tin of fudge to give to the family next-door. "It's a nice gesture. Now, get going!" She said, shooing her outside the premises. Emily walked briskly and saw a faint glow of warm light seeping through the windows. She heard a distant ringing of bells, the sound of laughter, and Christmas songs being played in the living room. She knocked on the door, the tin of fudge on her other hand as she did so. The volume of the music lowered, and then she heard the sound of footsteps coming to open the door.

"Oh, Emily!" It was Ella, Dan's younger sister. She hugged Emily and quickly pulled her inside the house. Emily hugged her back and began to remove the various layers of winter clothing she had on, "It's good to see you too." She said with a smile, handing her the fudge, "Merry Christmas!" Ella gasped at the size of the tin, comparing it to the size of her head, "This is massive!"

"Ella! Who is it?"

"It's Emily, mum! The girl from next-door!"

A heavily pregnant woman showed herself from the living room, tucking a loose lock of her hair behind her ear. Emily saw a great resemblance from between the two; she smiled and shook hands with Ella's mother, "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Adamson."

"Merry Christmas to you and to your family as well, dear," She said with a warm smile, "Come on inside, my husband just made his famous hot chocolate. You came right on time, Emily dear." The three walked into the living room, Emily saw Dan sitting by the fireplace with his father. Their mother walked to the piano where the hot chocolate was set down on a tray along with a few biscuits and macaroons. "Dad, you've got to try this! It's fantastic." Ella said as she bit into her first square of fudge. She sat down next to her father and gave him a piece.

The color in his eyes popped, a cheery old smile appeared on the man's face, "This is extraordinary! Way better than what my grandfather used to make." He noted, examining the bite in the fudge. Dan looked at Emily, the fire casting a glow on his face, "Granddad was a confectioner, and he was absolutely obsessed with sweets." She sat down on the couch next to Ella and Mrs. Adamson, chatting about school and family.

"How far along are you, Mrs. Adamson?"

"She should be out by March, however, the doctor thinks - erm, how do I say this?" Mrs. Adamson looked at her stomach, gently holding it with her free hand, "She's rather advanced if one should say. How does a seven-month-old baby look like she's ready to pop out?" She said with a nervous laugh. Emily's smile twitched, remembering what Percy had told her before.

"Babies in the Wizarding world develop very differently compared to Muggle babies, they grow in a span of 7 months rather than 9, and did you know that mothers who bear magical children are more likely to die in childbed?"

"I'm sure everything would be alright." Emily said, trying to comfort the woman. "How about you lot come over to my house? Let's have Christmas dinner together, it'll be fun." Mrs. Adamson accepted the invitation and said that she the others would be coming along shortly. Emily excused herself and went back to her home to alert the household.

Upon entering, she saw that Fred and George were performing near the fireplace a little firework show featuring tiny dragons and other magical creatures. Mrs. Weasley sitting down on the couch next to her husband, while Aunt Minerva, Remus, Sirius, and Mad-Eye were chatting while preparing dinner; Tonks, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and Harry were enjoying themselves on the carpet floor watching the miniature firework show.