Chapter 35 - The Lion and the Snake

Draco –

I was packing up my things when I got your letter. Your bloody owl scared me to death, thanks for that. I have left Malfoy Château and am currently on the train to Merlin knows where. I'll let you know where I am as soon as I find out. As for Emily, I'll do my best to watch over her. I just don't understand why you won't come with me and run away, I do understand if I ask you to the only thing I'll be hearing is "I can't leave her. She's my responsibility." And et cetera. Well, news flash, dear cousin: you have left her.

Uncle Lucius can't make me one of Voldemort's cronies, I won't allow it. My parents, of course, bent over to him being the imbeciles that they are, I can't bear them any longer. It's a good thing I'm close to coming of age I reckon I won't last long without magic while on the run.

I'm asking you one last time, little cousin. Is this what you want? Unwillingly bow over to Voldemort, the wretched man that ruined Emily's life or do you want to run away with me and make a new name for yourself, a name that isn't tarnished with blood prejudice and dark magic?

It's something to consider – E.

"Incendio." I tapped the tip of my wand on the parchment and within seconds, it was engulfed in flames until the ash fell on the top of shoes like black snow. A rush of adrenaline reigned in my bloodstream upon knowing that Eleanor had already fled from Malfoy Château, it would only take a week until that scandalous piece of news would circulate to the entirety of the family. Her face would be burned off of the Malfoy family tree, I thought to myself as I remembered the family tapestry in her home as well as in Malfoy Manor.

Eleanor had always been a rebel against the whole blood purity mania our family has ever since she could read and write. I secretly admired her for it. Edgar, Eleanor's brother, was also quite rebellious but never truly showed it until he graduated from Durmstrang and moved out of the family home. No one knows where his whereabouts, not even his sister although they correspond to each other every two weeks.

As for the issue of me not running away with them... It was mad. The mere thought of it was ludicrous. Although I won't deny the fact that I never thought of doing such a thing. Thinking about leaving made me breathe easier, but where would I go? My Aunt Andromeda might take me in... She knows what it must feel like all things considered, I remembered my mother's sister. My Aunt Andromeda was taken off of the family tree when she married a Muggle-born, maybe I could go to her and – no. No, I can't. I'd be endangering a whole new group of people.

I could tell Emily the truth, the entire truth. She could help me. I've wanted to tell her about this for so long, she of all people would understand. The thought of her giving me sympathy over my situation would kill me; I can't bear to see her eyes look at me in that way. I need her more than ever, and it is killing me that I can't do anything about it.

"I'll fix all of this." I promised to myself, swallowing down my fear and anxiety, "I'll do the right thing when I have the chance." I swear it on my life.

~

It made Emily smile in pure happiness whenever she attended Umbridge's class. It made her smile because there she was with 29 other students doing the one thing the ministry feared would become of Dumbledore and Hogwarts. It made her smile because they were right under Umbridge's nose, and they got away with it.

She dwelled on satisfying memories of their most recent meetings, remembering how Neville had successfully disarmed Hermione, how Colin Creevey had mastered the Impediment Jinx after three meetings' hard effort, how Marlene and Ginny had produced such a good Reductor Curse that she they had both reduced the table carrying all the Sneakoscopes to dust.