(25) On the same road

Start from the beginning

I attempted to smile as she continued, ''You lost some blood and you needed stitches. A few bones fractured, other than that, God saved you from something even more major.''

''Oh'' It was all I could say.

After I was done eating, I rested my head back against the bed, and mom went to sit by dad leaving me to stare at the ceiling.

''Everyone is waiting to meet you. Carmen, Daniel, Dale, Lillian, all of them are here,'' Mom started saying, ''Doctor Grace says it will be fine tomorrow.''

''Carmen came?'' I asked, in surprise,

Mom gave me a funny look, ''Yes she did. Of course she came.''

''Ally, do you remember what happened that day? I mean, how did you get hit?'' Dad asked all of the sudden, taking both me and mom by surprise. Ever since I had woken up I hadn't let my mind wonder about that, but now that dad was bringing it up I began to think.

''The locals say you were running in the middle of the road.'' Mom looked hesitant when she said,

''And others say it was suicide.'' I gaped at dad,

''Suicide? I would never -,'' I stared at mom frantically, ''mom you know I-I would never-''

''We know Ally, that's why we're asking.'' She replied calmly.

I tried to remember what had happened that day but once again my mind wasn't working very fast, ''I was exiting Expresso and was waiting on the pavement...'' I began to put together the pieces, ''I'm not sure how I fell right in front of the car.''

''Can't you remember anything?''

I held their gazes, ''I'm not sure what happened. But I felt as if I was pushed.''

There eyes went wide and they exchanged wide eyed glances, ''What?'' Mom sprang to her feet, ''pushed you? As in tried to hurt you?''

I rubbed my head, ''I'm not sure, I can't remember properly...''

''How far is the pavement from the cafe you work at?'' Dad demanded looking much more controlled than mom,

''It's right outside the door-''

''Does the cafe has a camera outside?'' He pressed on, at the mention of the camera the gravity of the situation hit me full force. Was I still under effects on drugs? Or was there really someone there who pushed me?

''I never noticed.''

Dad turned to mom, ''Where's the guy who runs the cafe?''

''I'm here.'' Just in time Derrick entered the room, taking me by surprise. Seeing him there made my heart jump a little, in a good way. I wanted to get up and throw my arms around his neck but my body was too stubborn to move.

Derrick wasn't alone. There was a tall man beside him as well, all muscles and stern looks.

''How are you?'' Derrick addressed me, a smile on his face.

I smiled back, ''Better.''

''Mr. White, this is Detective Harold. He was the one who came earlier,'' I eyed the detective once again and felt a pang of fear from the whole situation.

''Derrick contacted me right after I came and explained what he saw,'' Detective began to talk and all eyes went to Derrick who didn't look unnerved by the situation. Instead there was an expression of fierce determination on his face.

''I saw the whole thing happening before my eyes,'' Derrick told us, glancing at me, ''after she left the cafe, I ran outside to call her back. That's when I saw that there was a person standing a little behind her.'' And just like that my memory began to clear up a little, I remembered the feeling of someone putting their hand on my back,