Chapter 11: Fence sitting.

The white gates of Gord broken and wide open. The entry way inside a large pile of rubble with steam rising in the air and a large crater many metres deep and wide. Knights patrolled the area while others ran forward down alleyways looking for the mage that fled. Thousands if knights still remained. Being held captive was Newt. He was chained both arms outstretched and blood running down his torso. He was completely unconscious the battle had drained him off everything and he still lost. Explosions could still be heard every now and then but it had settled down a lot. It was now extermination rather than a battle. Newt had put everything into the last spell and for nothing. The king cut him down and did him the ultimate dishonour he left him alive.

A volley of arrows hot through a wooden door. Each missed their intended target a small mage only about eighteen. She ran through the house with her large blue robe trailing her. Panic in her green eyes and sweat on her head. She could hear the knights smash into the door and the clanking off their armour as they chased her. Split up and alone from the other mage she was desperate. Running through the house she finally hit a dead end. Turning back against the wall she watched as three white knights approached her. All with their swords out ready to kill her.

“Please!” She whimpered.

“You lot killed many a knight today, I think its payback.” Said the first knight closest to the girl.

The girl was full of too much panic to clap her hands together and chant a spell. Even if she could she was basically spent from the fighting at the wall. Tears bubbled from her green eyes and she whimpered as the impending approached her. Why did she have to turn left rather than right with everyone else? Only eighteen and about to die what a fate. Thousands of ideas went through her head but nothing that would work death what a grim thing.

“Ok so you barge into a guy’s house, break his front door and then try to murder a girl in ma hallway.”  The knights turn to see a bald man standing in the hall with them. His eyes blue and tired and he stood with a smug smile. “You don’t even bother to say sorry or stop what you are doing how sad.”

“Stay out of this!” barked a knight.

“No sorry not going to happen. My house my rules and I think I will save this young girl.”

Pointing swords at him they all looked ready to fight.

“Please gentlemen, we don’t need to do this you can just leave?” pointing his hand behind his back he pointed at the door. “Don’t make me do this,”

The first knight swung for him and the first to fall. He hit the ground and his arm exploded into pieces.

The other two knights stood in silence and shock.

“Oh sorry I keep forgetting to introduce myself, Silly me. I am Set. You know me as the sword saint.”

Fear took over everyone in the hallway even the girl, Set was known as the sword saint but in the last few weeks he was also known as the mage killer. He had taken down a few titled mage one of them being the famous Crow. What was he doing in Gord and especially at this time? Far too many questions to be answered but right now the girl’s survival hinged on Set and his mood.

Taking a closer look at him he wore baggy clothes and around his waist a large belt with four long swords. Two on each side ready to be drawn. Frozen with fear both knights just continued to stare at him whilst he rolled up his sleeves. Revealing two different tattoos on his left and right arm. On his right a large circle with red runes exploding out of it. On his left a symbol of one of the old gods. Looking at the knights and the girl he stilled smiled with his tired face and walked forward, each step forward was a step back for the knights. Then a swoosh of wind hit the girls long brown hair and she looked in confusion at what happened.

Both knights hit the floor dead cut in two. Standing above them Set looked at the girl and held out his hand. “Come on girl your safe now.”

“I can’t trust you!”

Still smiling he replied to the girl. “No you can’t but you will. You want to live don’t you? So come with me.”

“But you hunt mage!”

“I did, but not now. I have been a fence sitter for far too long. I have decided to join your cause. I will help defeat the king.”