Ch. 19: Oh, How The Tables Have Turned.

Start from the beginning

You glance up at Mark to see him smiling brightly, "Yeah, that's why I wanna see her dress so I can see if I have anything to match!"

You snicker, shaking your head as you roll your eyes. "You can't even match your socks with your boxers, how are you going to match with what I wear?"
Your eyes widen a bit at what you just said, and instantly you clear your throat.

Mark groans, not affected by what you said. "I'll have you know, I clean up rather nicely and I can actually match my clothing." He looks at you, "But when I know I'm not leaving the house, who cares if I match my clothes?"

"Who wouldn't care?!" Jack laughs, "You're always supposed to match what you wear!"

"Thank you!" You point at your phone. "Someone actually cares!"

Mark rolls his eyes, "Does it bother you that I don't match my clothes?" He asks you and you nod your head, even though really it doesn't. "Well guess what, I'm wearing mismatched socks right now." He smirks.

"Oh my God." You and Jack say in unison, while Mark chuckles.

-Skip-

You were sitting cris-cross on the floor in front of your suitcase and a pile of clothes. You had decided to start packing a bit early, as you know that if you packed too late you would stress yourself out over the things that you may have forgotten to pack, leading you to overpack.

Mark was already in his room, screaming and yelling over some game he was playing. He was going to destroy his voice and then complain about it later, but you knew it was never a problem to him. He loves what he does, and you knew he would never give it up.
You smile to yourself, a bit touched that Mark was going to work himself to exhaustion and possible sickness just to take time off to go to the wedding with you.

Your father had called you about an hour ago, reminding you that it was going to be really cold with the possibility of rain or even snow the day of the wedding. So you packed your suitcase full of warm clothes, and a very small collection of cooler clothes.
You may not use them, but it was just for precautionary reasons.

You stood up from your sitting position, having your knees crack and pop as soon as they stretched out after sitting for so long. You grab your phone off of your dresser before you head out of your room and down the spiral staircase, abandoning your main task at hand for a little bit.

It was almost dinner time and you wanted to pull out the delicious leftover chicken and dumplings, and warm it up for when Mark comes down to eat.
It felt like it was just an hour ago that you were out at the park with Mark, eating some lunch, but with your mind preoccupied with your trip that was quickly approaching, it seemed like time was flying by.

Mark was pretty much doing you a favor, coming with you to be a guest at your father's wedding. To be in a room full of strangers, to sit for hours waiting for the wedding to begin and then to sit through all the long, and most likely drunk speeches at the after party.

He was doing you a favor, by being there for you.

You were going to come up with way to thank him, you don't know how or when, but you were going to thank him for it. All of it.
You appreciate it, you appreciate him.
After you had pulled everything out and prepared the both of you a bowl, you walk to the end of the spiral staircase. You place your hand on the curved rail, leaning into it as you stare up into the hall opening.

"Mark!" You call after you listened to nothing but silence. "We're having leftovers! Come get it while it's hot!"
You wait a few seconds, hearing mumbled words spill from your roommates mouth, but you couldn't catch what he said.
"What?!" You yell up the stairs.