[17] A Warning From James

Start from the beginning

          “If she comes back with one hair out of place, you and I will have some issues, boy,” my father pointed in Jared’s face. “I was in the military for ten years. I can drop kick you faster than you can even blink your eyes.”

          That was a lie. My father was never in the military.

          “Yes, sir,” Jared smiled in a strangled manner. Though there was some strange sense of humor in his eyes.

          “I’m number three on your speed dial, alright Rae Rae?” my dad confirmed.

          “Yes, dad. We’re only going to be twenty minutes away,” I said and rolled my eyes.

          “I want her home no later than ten o’clock. I’ll be on the porch, so don’t think about making any moves,” my father growled at Jared.

          Jared nodded quickly, grabbing my hand. I looked at my father’s gaze locked on our fingers. If looks could kill…

          I walked Jared out the front door hurriedly, before my dad decided to throw out lines about previously being in prison. Which, in fact, was another lie. Surprisingly.

          “Off to the movies?” Jared made sure before he started driving.

          I nodded an answer, smiling reluctantly. Jared’s leg was bouncing eagerly, putting me on edge. I hoped, for his sake, that it wasn’t obvious how much I didn’t want to be there.

          My phone lay loosely on my lap, and I had to restrain myself from picking it up and asking Jessica to come up with some lame excuse. Looking up, I took time to evaluate why I wasn’t interested in Jared.

          It wasn’t like he was a bad looking kid. In fact, he was quite the opposite. He has a strong jawline and healthy looking hair. He had brown eyes, but they were milky and appeared to be kind.

          It was just his personality that killed me. There was not a single spark. Our connection was nonexistent. And I guess that’s the main reason I disliked him. He didn’t get me excited or fired up. Instead, he was insistent, clingy, and needy. All in all, he wasn’t going to turn out to be a good boyfriend.      

          Perhaps a friend. But even being friends seemed impossible to bear.

          With a mental sigh, I slumped against the window in defeat. My breath fogged up the glass. Only a few hours, Rachel, only a few more hours.

~* *~

          Jared was increasingly making me edgy. His hand was dangerously close to mine in the movie theater seats. I suppose you were required to hold hands while on a date, but that rule went completely out the window on this particular outing.

          Something flashed in my peripheral vision, and it was hard to believe that what I saw was actually real.

          It was James.

          I jerked up in my seat, gaining the attention of Jared. As if sensing where my eyes were looking, Jared’s head snapped to the left and his eyes narrowed down in James’s direction, as if he were trying to see what I was looking at.

          “What’s wrong?” Jared asked all-too casually. His arm was slung around the back of my seat now.

          “I have to use the bathroom,” I excused quietly, standing up from my uncomfortable position in the seat.