16. Library Love

In annual break, Abhimanyu had a great time at home catching up movies with friends, conversations with mom and sister and reading his favorite novels. He even took a short trip to London where his dad was on a business trip. Only a week was left for the college to start.

Mom: Anything you need for college, let me know?

Abhimanyu: I was thinking of buying a bike this year. I don't know if I should or not, but sometimes it really becomes difficult to go anywhere. Have to wait hours for bus to come.

Mom: What's stopping you?

Abhimanyu: Nothing. Yet to make up mind.

Mom: I don't understand why you insist on leading such a difficult life. Last semester, you hardly called us. I had to write e-mails to you. Those too you replied with just two sentences. "I'm good. Love you mom". What is this Abhimanyu? It really makes me sad.

Abhimanyu: Mom, honestly I was very busy last semester. I had absolutely no time at all for anything, but trust me it was worth every bit of my time. I was helping Sir John with his work.

Ria: Mom, he was serving Sir, John. Did you hear that? I'm telling you to open your eyes now. By the time you open your eyes it would be too late. After serving sir John he will be serving a church.

Abhimanyu: Shut up, Ria. Don't start it again.

Abhimanyu: Mom, can you believe it, John got the best project award in the State in Final Year. Wow, it felt great to create something that's actually being used.

Ria: You are so good, that I know, but why are you then not topping the university there. Are you going to top this year, bhai?

Abhimanyu: Actually, I never will. Because, I make sure that I don't .

Ria: What? She asked looking shocked.

Abhimanyu: After I have answered enough questions to get the marks in the range I want, which is less than what usually a topper might get. I stop at that and don't bother to answer the rest of questions despite knowing answers to all of them.

Mom: Why? You don't want to be a university topper when you can easily be the one.

Abhimanyu: To save your lie, mom. Kidding. Actually, it might get my picture in newspaper. Even if it's on a local/regional newspaper who knows which minister will read and etc etc. I want to avoid unnecessary attention that it might get.

Abhimanyu: Don't worry mom, topping university is nothing. Your son is cut out for big things in life. I'll make you happy and proud one day.

Ria: Mom will be happiest if you show her a girl you like. She teased him.

Mom: Ria, behave.

Abhimanyu: Decided mom. I'm getting a bike for myself this semester. Don't forget to give me money for the bike. He smiled.

Mom: Take as much money as you want. Everything is yours only.

Abhimanyu: No, mom. Only the cost of the bike.

              After the new year in college started the last year results came and so did the freshers. Sunita got the highest percentage in second year. She topped the university this year also. Ram and Abhimanyu retained their second and third positions overall. Shanaya's name was not in top three in Electronics and Telecommunication but she got first class. There was no freshers party for third year students but they did get to check them out in the dance party that followed it. Boys hostel was abuzz how this year freshers batch had more number of girls than previous years and also how it had some of the most beautiful girls ever. Some of them were already topping the popularity charts in boys and girls hostel alike.