11. Sports Day

St. George Institute of Science and Technology was a big college with lots of students in different streams of engineering, but there was no college sports team that went to play against other colleges. In fact, there were no  internal teams even . From many students that joined the college, very few were interested in sports. Majority thought engineering to be tough and that  they'd lose marks if they wasted time playing after the college hours. Ram was also in the majority. College was not into encouraging sports activities. Those who liked to play, played it for their leisure like Abhimanyu, Yash and few more.

            Considering the request of  students interested in sports competition, College secretary, Anand, a final year student, decided to conduct matches between different years. College authorities never involved itself in such activities. A notice was put inviting the interested boys and girls from all the years to give their names to college secretary by the end of next day. It also said, first few from every year will get a chance to play in the team . Those in the list after that will be in waiting and might get to play as substitute. Basketball and Volleyball matches between First, Second, Third and Final year for boys and girls were decided . Abhimanyu gave his name for the basketball team. Enough names to form teams were not received from boys for volleyball and from girls for basketball . So, boys volleyball and girls basketball was cancelled. With the number of names they got, they barely managed to form volleyball teams for girls. It looked like no one was interested in sports. The duration of match was less, so two matches  were decided for each sport . One First Year vs Third Year and second, Second Year vs Final Year for both girls volleyball and boys basketball. These matches were on Thursday after the college hours and then one on Friday between the two winning teams to declare the winner. College secretary also got a boy and a girl from final year and third year each to be a referee in the match their team was not playing.

                      The boys basketball and girls volleyball matches were timed in such a way that the students could support and cheer for both  boys and girls teams from their batch despite the events taking place at the same time. Two  basketball and volleyball matches were from 4:30 pm to 7 pm after college hours on Thursday. Basketball first match was Second-Year vs Final Year and then First Year vs Third Year. In girls volleyball, the first match was First Year vs Third Year and the second match was Second Year vs Final Year.

Priyanka was deciding on what to wear for the volleyball match. She saw Shanaya reading and Bela getting dressed.

Priyanka: Where are you going Bela?

Bela: I have to meet Shiva at the basketball match. He is there to cheer our Second Year boys team.

Priyanka: Don't miss my volleyball match after that.

Bela: I promise, I'll be there.

Priyanka: You are also coming Shanaya.

Shanaya: What will I do, I don't know ABC of the game.

Priyanka: You are coming to cheer for me. I am not listening. You are coming with me, okay.

Priyanka: This college hardly ever has any matches. You shouldn't miss this opportunity to see me play. You don't know how much I like to play.Common! Stop studying and get ready, you lazy bum.

Shanaya: Okay, I'll come.

              The basketball and volleyball courts were on the opposite sides of the long road that ran from the main building to canteen with volleyball court a little farther on that road, closer to the the canteen. Basketball court was closer to main building on that road.

           The participating boys from second year and final year were in the court at 4:15 pm. They had rushed to their rooms after college to change into vests and shorts for the match. The referee started the match in time. They had no spectators when they started. It was so hot and sunny at that time that half an hour in the game and all the players were sweating profusely. After some time, the boys started taking off their vests and throwing it on the bench nearby. Some boys and girls were now there to watch the match. Later some more girls and boys came to support their teams. Yash also came to support Abhimanyu. Ram decided to stay back to complete his assignment. The match had become interesting with both the teams running close in points. Only half an hour match was left. The teams were given 2 mins break. Abhimanyu's sweat soaked vest touching against his body was distracting him. He decides to get rid of it like others. He pulls his vest out and walks to the bench to keep it and drink water. As his hands reach out for the bottle his eyes fall and stop on Shanaya who was walking towards him. His heart skips a beat. With his eyes fixed on her, he slowly gulps the water from his bottle taking pause in between the gulps to absorb the view of her in his eyes. Her milky white radiant skin glowed and her silky black hair that fell at  the highest point on her round breasts flew in the air as she walked towards him in a fitted pink t-shirt and light blue skinny jeans that showed her shapely medium length legs. His teammates were shouting at him to return to court, but he didn't move until he was done.