13. Bad Boy

The semester was heading to an end with a little more than a week to pretests . It was to be followed by PL's, exams and a semester break. On their many encounters, Shanaya and Abhimanyu behaved as normally as they could. They always passed each other as strangers who had nothing to do with each other. Shanaya always looked away or passed with a straight face as if he doesn't exist. He wished, she looked  his way on some days.

             He tried to wrap his head around Shanaya royally ignoring him. He wondered if she recognized that it was him with her that night. But then he argued that he was popular enough to be not known to her. He remembered that she was quite stressed that night and there was quite a possibility that she didn't look at him properly. He reasoned that may be she missed  his name in the pitter- patter of rain. He made himself understand that may be she knows the popular boy that he was  but not as the boy who accompanied her to the hostel that rainy night. Still, it all seemed too far fetched. He thought it was better to leave the whole thing with the status incomprehensible.

             Ram and Abhimanyu were both sitting at their study tables reading something when Yash flunged open the door and dropped himself on his bed. He was beaming with happiness. He lay on his bed thinking for some time. Then, he took a long deep breath that got him the attention of his both the room mates.

Yash: Meena proposed me and I said yes. He said it fast and loud with a blushing face.

Ram: Oh My God!. His mouth open in amazement.

Ram: Congratulations, Dude!

Yash: Thank you.

Abhimanyu: Finally!

Abhimanyu: I was expecting it long time back. Congratulations, Yash! Meena is a nice girl.

Ram: Wow! One of our roommates has a girlfriend now. This calls for celebration!

Yash: We can drink up the left over whisky that we got from the Blue Mountain. I have it in my closet.

Ram: Yeah, we'll. But not now. May be later in the night.

Abhimanyu: We'll miss you, dude.

Yash: I'll also miss you guys. You guys take care.

Ram: What nonsense. Where is he going?

Abhimanyu: To Meena! He spontaneously said. And they all laughed.

Ram: What yaar! Nobody proposes us. Poor us! He said  in a sad voice.

Yash: What is surprising is that nobody proposed Abhimanyu. He said and then laughed.

Yash: Did any girl propose you? He asked seriously.

Abhimanyu: No yaar, none. I don't think girl's like me.

Yash: I agree with you. I don't think you have a chance with any girl. I don't think girls can like you. He laughed

Abhimanyu: What! He said pretending shocked.

Ram: I envy him that he has everything that  girl's want and you are saying girl's won't like him.

Yash: He is too good and nice, and girls these days are into bad boys. Even the simple one's are attracted to bad boys. You know, there is something very mysterious and attractive about their personality. Look at me. I do everything bad. I drink, smoke, miss lectures and sit in cafe checking out girls. Yet, I get proposed.

Ram: But Meena is a good girl.

Abhimanyu: That's what he is saying. Good girls also like bad boys . Nobody likes good boys. Do you get it now?