2. Hug New Life

Finally after finishing all the paperwork and admission formalities, the day to join the college had come. Abhimanyu felt anxious and excited at the same time. He landed at Kochi airport as his dad insisted that he took a flight from Mumbai to Kochi. He wanted to take a train but then he didn't want to argue with his parents anymore, So, he had agreed to take a flight. He knew his parents must be mad within to see why he was so crazy to lead that kind of life. But he was sure why he wanted his next four years like this. His sister had officially declared him Pope and a sage who wanted to wander in jungles devoid-ed of people.

               As soon as he landed at airport, he felt a breeze hit his face gently. Sky was overcast with black clouds and he remembered how his mother advised him to always carry an umbrella with him. Surrounding serenity was soothing to his senses. He had a feeling his  new life would be great. He decided to take a bus to Alleppey instead of a taxi. It was a little more than an hour by bus. Abhimanyu took an auto to the bus station from where the bus to Alleppey was to depart in half an hour. That meant he would be there at college by lunch time. Soon the bus got filled with people, mostly all of them spoke malayalam.  All of a sudden, he realized he could find himself very aloof because of the language. He was broken out of his revere when an old lady asked him to slide to the window seat. The bus engine roared to start it's drive to Alleppey.

             On the way, Abhimanyu saw small villages surrounded by coconut groves and paddy fields. Bus passed many temples en-route. The fishing lines on the backwaters. The greenery on the way was so refreshing. Abhimanyu loosened himself to the soothing cool breeze from the window. While his eyes were still fixed on the fascinating views, conductor shouted the name of the place he had to get down at.

             Abhimanyu got down along with some other people. The stop was so lonely.He inquired a few people who got down with him on how to reach his college. Many said there isn't much transport available to the place as it is on outskirts of town and he might have to wait longer before any auto or bus came.Some suggested him to take a lift. After five minutes another bus arrived and few young boys got down. They glanced him up and down and then one of them inquired if he was a fresher in the St George engineering college. He nodded his head in "yes". They told him there is an hour before any bus came and that they were from the same college. They offered him to join them.

             They all introduced themselves.They told they were in second year. Then, they went to a restaurant to eat lunch.One of them said the food in the hostel was so bad that at least until college went  full swing they could come and enjoy the food there. Because later with their busy schedules, they won't get time to come so far to enjoy anything. That too when the bus frequency was so poor.

Rohit: Abhimanyu, where are you from?

Abhimanyu: From Mumbai

Rohit: I guessed so, u don't look like from this state.

Aman: Out of all the colleges, u got admission here in this remote engineering college. Payment seat? You must be really bad in studies. lol.

Matty(boy in specs): You look like a hero, man. Why don't you try in films. Really, what is there in engineering?

Abhimanyu: No, I am a domicile and I have heard good things about the college. Like university toppers are from our college.

Matty: You are right, Abhimanyu. Though life is a bit difficult but our college is surely very modern with great in campus facilities and faculty. It's another thing that campus is far from any civilization. He laughed.

Aman: Not a bit but a lot.

Rohit: Looks like, we have a topper here. lol. Which branch?

Abhimanyu: Computer Science.

                    Food arrived and after eating stomach full and paying the bill they headed to the bus stop to catch the bus. Luckily bus arrived in 5 minutes.College was 25 mins by bus. There was nothing on the way, just paddy fields. Finally they got down at college bus stop. The building was grand in a huge campus. Dome was seen from far. It was all residential college. It had 3 big 4 storey building for boys hostel and 2 big buildings for girls hostel. The main building was surrounded by big lawns with sprinklers on it. As they entered the gate , they had an entry register to sign in. They all signed their names with year and time in IN&OUT register. Abhimanyu had two big suit cases  and his guitar case with him. He dragged one and Rohit offered to drag the other. Aman helped with his guitar.

                Walk from the gate to boys hostel was at least 6 mins. They passed the basketball court, tennis court, volleyball net and a small shopping center with cafeteria, PCO, and squash and badminton courts. Abhimanyu entered the main hall of building 3 of boys hostel. It appeared to be a new building. The hall echoed. Abhimanyu went to the attendant and inquired about his room. He welcomed him and handed him the keys to room no.315 on 3rd floor. The ground floor had TV room, dining hall and kitchen. There was no lift. Boys helped me carry my suit cases to my room. They were from building No.2 . As Abhimanyu opened the door to his room he saw 3 beds and 3 study table and chairs.

Rohit: It seems you are the first one in this room, you can choose any of the bed and study tables.

Abhimanyu: Yes, it looks so.

But as he opened the closet on right, he saw a suitcase lying there.

Abhimanyu: Guess I already have a roommate.

              He decided to take the bed on the left corner but that too appeared to have some stuff in it's closet. So Abhimanyu had to settle with the middle one.He didn't really like it but he had no choice.

Aman: Bathrooms are at the end of the corridor of each wing. Dinner is between 8 pm to 10 pm. Lunch between 1 pm to 3 pm. Don't dare to open the windows unless you want to break the panes as it's very windy here. Abhimanyu thanked the second year boys as they left. "See you around," they all said.

              Abhimanyu had realized that the moment he got down at the college. There was nothing around to stop the wind,  the wind in this place whistled as it blew. He dropped on his bed and closed his eyes tight. As he heard the whistle, he didn't know if it would be music to ears or noise to ears but for now he just wanted to take a nap.