Chapter 26

I felt the shard of glass get twisted from my hand with ease. "Stop!" Alec orders, his shout reverberating my bones. I was in a craze, bloodthirsty for his death. He needed to die.

My body slammed into his and we toppled to the ground. I tried choking Alec but my hands wouldn't fit around his neck and his sheer strength was nothing I could compete with. I'd allowed myself to become weak and now I was paying for it.

"Stop it!" Alec pins my body beneath his and I can't breathe. He holds me down as there's a slam on the bedroom door. I'm so close to freedom.

"Why do you want me to stop, Alec?" I coo. He looks from the door to me and frowns. "You made me into this!" I accuse. Alec recoils from my words.

"No, Darling, it doesn't have to be like this. You're not-"

"Did you want me to become a monster?" I ask. Alec was angry and then shocked and his grip lessened because of his inward battle. I took my smaller shard, still locked in my other hand and shoved it into his side. Alec's cry of pain wasn't enough to satisfy my hunger.

"Darling, stop... you don't understand." He tried to come towards me but I moved back, afraid, terrified, and raging mad all in the same breath. "I don't want you to become me... but they'll-"

"I don't care what you want! I want you dead!" I scream.

Alec's eyes streamed with tears. He clutched his side, holding tightly to the wound I'd given him. My brain was a muddle of emotions. I wanted to see his eyes glaze over, but I didn't want to cause it. Alec stepped another sideways step towards me, pinning me against the door.

"Don't shoot!" Alec orders. There's silence on the other side. "She's against the door." Alec continues. I hear murmurings on the other side.

"How do I know you're not bluffing?" An unfamiliar voice calls. Even though Alec is in pain he manages a clear laugh. I stare wide eyed at his monstrosity. He was so into his game that he didn't care that I wanted him dead. Part of me wanted him to hate me. He never gave me the impression that he did. I didn't want to kill him when he had nothing but good will towards me.

"You don't. Go ahead. Call my bluff." Alec taunts. I was invigorated by the sheer noise of his voice but I couldn't move from my position against the door. Part of me wished a bullet would aim straight and true and blow my brain to bits.

The bullet didn't come.

I started crying, unable to help myself. My body shook in tremors and Alec watched me with careful eyes. I hated him, I hated the world, I hated this game, but most of all I hated myself. I was so disgusted with myself for becoming what I had that I wanted to end my miserable existence. It made no difference whether I lived or died, I'd be in something close to Hell.

My tears wet my cheeks and I saw the large shard of glass on the ground, near Alec's bed. I saw Alec follow my gaze and he tightened his grip on me immediately. "You will not-" he starts but I shove him backwards.

"Shoot!" I beg. There are no bullets coming through. "Dear God, shoot!" I hit the door but no bullets pierce through the wood. "Aim straight!" I sob. There's silence on the other side. Alec pulls my body from the door only to slam it against it once more. My head hits the wood and I feel dizzy and sick.

"I will not allow you to-" Alec begins and he continues to slam my head against the door. I wanted to pass out, to die. My stomach burned and I tried helplessly to stop Alec.