Chapter 16

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"No, I'm obviously not okay." Makayla sobs. Her legs are shaking and the blood on her legs flows freely. I narrow my eyes at the lack of care they've shown her. If they wouldn't bandage her, I would.

"Makayla, I'm trying to help you." I say gently. Her gaze snaps up to meet mine.

"By allowing me to be tortured? I wish you would've just killed me." I'm taken aback by her words. My heart hurts and anger rises in me.

"Well I'm just using the logic you and Trisha used when you beat me up." I snap back. Makayla is now the one who's hurt.

My eyes move from her bloody body and I focus on the wall of books behind her. I search for the one I need to read. Alec was reading it when I was in the library, and he was very particular when he chose it.

"I'm sorry for that." Makayla says suddenly. Her voice is quivering and I don't know if it's because of her external or internal pain. "I thought it would help."

"Beating me to a bloody pulp?" I scoff. She flinches at my words. I shake my head and find the book with my eyes. It's only then that I turn my focus to the camera on Alec's desk.

"It's useless." Makayla tells me as I try to find an angle to hide behind her on.

"I know it's useless." I say hotly. She looks at me evenly.

"Then why are you wasting the energy?" Makayla knows I'm not thinking clearly right now, and she's trying to help me calm down, but I'm worried sick about her. She has blood dripping down her legs and I see she's beginning to shake. I can't handle losing her no matter if I'm mad at her or not.

"I'm not going to sit here and wait for them to come back." I say sharply. Makayla nods, she's beginning to be overwhelmed in pain. My thoughts run wild as I try to find a way to get to Makayla without making them come in here.

I pause when I hear the door open. I'm afraid it's Alex, but I relax when I see a girl. She has a first aid kit and she moves Makayla from the chair to the floor. Makayla's head is close to my feet.

"There's a tunnel in the basement." I whisper. Makayla's eyes focus on mine. "The stairs are in the dining room." I say under my breath. "Tunnel leads out." My eyes turn away from her as she screeches in pain. The girl looks apologetically at me.

I stand and walk away from them. Maybe I'd get someone in here by not staying in my seat. If that gave them the time they needed to escape, I was good with that. My eyes searched the book shelves but before I could take another step Alex came walking in. 

"Austen." Alex says briskly.

"You know, I don't know what your mom was thinking when she named both of you." I cross my arms and look critically at the shelf. "I mean Alec and Alex sound so alike... plus you both are-"

"I'm not here to talk." Alex snarls. I laugh.

"Really? Because you seem to be doing a lot of talking lately." I see him narrow his eyes. Alec slips in quietly and takes the now bandaged Makayla out of the room, the young girl trailing. I have to tear my eyes away from them.

"I wouldn't taunt me." Alex snarls.

"Maybe I'll call you Alexander. It's a lot less confusing than Alec and Alex." I say, ignoring him.

"I don't appreciate people saying my full name without my permission." He says with a growl, coming closer.

"Well you never said I couldn't, Alexander." I grin but suddenly I'm shoved against the book shelf. My jaw tightens as my body throbs in pain.