Chapter 15

I was at the grocery store, buying late night snacks for myself. As I was walking out to my car, somebody ran into me. All of my stuff fell to the ground and I attempted to pick it up when the person who ran into me caught my attention.

I smiled warmly at the man who, in my opinion was attractive in his own right. The stupid girly side of me needed to make sure he knew I wasn't mad at him.

"I'm sorry for bumping into you. It wasn't my intention to make your stuff fall to the ground." The man's voice was smooth, and yet something was off about him. I trusted my gut and stood up slowly with my groceries, making myself look busy while I tried to find my phone.

"Oh?" I ask, trying to pretend to be attracted to him. "Then what was your intention?" I hold back my fear and paranoia and attempt to flirt to distract him awhile longer until someone else came out.

"Well, I was playing a game." He says quietly, his voice dropping.

"A game?" I ask, utterly confused.

"Yes, would you like to play?"

"Is this game dangerous?" The question barely leaves my mouth before the man steps closer.

"It's the most dangerous kind." He says evenly, a hint of playfulness in his tone.

"I'm up for the challenge." I finally see my phone in his hand. It's a flash of motion and suddenly I'm on the ground with the man hovering over me.

"Tag, you're it."

••••

"Don't touch her." Alec snarls as Alexander begins walking towards us. I'm pushed behind Alec. "She will be dealt with accordingly." Alec says sharply.

"Oh, I will see to that." Alex chuckles, leaning around Alec to look me over. "Where were you hiding all this time, Austen?"

"I wasn't hiding anywhere, Alexander." I say briskly. He smirks and I slip my knife out, feeling the heavy weight in my hand. All it took was a glare and Alex had moved Alec from his defensive stance in front of me. My hand moves quickly and I've cut a sharp line in Alex's cheek before he knows I've moved. I wasted no time and bolted for the exit, seeing Alec tend to his brother.

My feet lead me through the horribly twisted hallways to the library, never letting go of the knife. There was an alarm going off as I shut the door. A red light was blaring in my face as I tried to focus and find something that could save me.

Secret door, where would- I saw Trisha's form fleeing behind a bookcase and then it slid into place. My feet carried me to the wall and I felt for a handle, a latch, something. I found a book slightly misplaced and when I moved it, a door opened. I entered without hesitation.

As I was catching my breath, I felt a sharp sting across my face. "What the heck do you think you're doing back here? You were out!" She hisses at me. I see Makayla behind her. Relief floods through me.

"Marisa?" I ask. Makayla stiffens and Trisha shakes her head.

"Answer my question, idiot! Why are you back? How did you get out? My god you look awful-" Trisha rants. I didn't miss her at all. My hand hides the knife behind me, still not trusting Trisha in the least bit.

"Shhh." I order, hearing Alex's voice from the other side of the bookcase.

"Don't tell me to shhh you-" I cover Trisha's mouth with my hand and lean into the bookcase, trying to hear Alex.

"Where else would she have- this is all your fault! You had her in your hands and- you're such an idiot!" He's probably yelling at Alec.

"You're here for a week, Alex." Alec's voice cuts through the silence and shivers runs down my spine. I remember that voice. He was planning something. "Don't overstep your boundaries."